FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By alethia
I just bought a Venus Flytrap, and I know the basics of how to take care of it.
I'm trying to give it enough sunlight, but it's been overcast for the last few days. I live in Hong Kong, so winter is just ending, but it's still quite cool here.
I was just wondering whether it needs repotting, or if it looks particularly unhealthy, anything I can do to let it grow better.
Is it a problem if the leaves are not standing up, or if the traps are not red, or that when I dropped an insect inside one of the traps, it didn't close?
i tried dropping an insect in twice, and it didn't work. The insects were alive, and small enough to fit inside the traps. Is there something wrong with it?
Any help appreciated. Thanks :)
Attachments:
IMG_29882.jpg
IMG_29882.jpg (156.83 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
IMG_29872.jpg
IMG_29872.jpg (171.04 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
Last edited by alethia on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
By doku
Your flytrap looks good. It can use more light if you can provide it though. The short wide leaves usually mean that it either hasnt had enough light, or that it is dormant. You did not state where you are from, which will help others help you with advice on what to do. Even if its cloudy out, you'd be surprised how much light actually passes through the clouds, which, in my opinion, is a good time to acclimate new plants to full sun. They get used to low humidity while not being burned by really intense sun, and when the sun finally comes out, there might be some sun burn, but your plants will be able to handle it with little damage. But like I said, if we know where your from it will be easier to give you advice. Dont want to tell you to put them outside if winter is starting where you live. If your plant is dormant, it will also explain why it didnt want to eat the insect. Oh, btw, welcome to flytrapcare :D
doku liked this
By alethia
Thanks so much for replying. I live in Hong Kong, I've added that now =] It's quite humid here, and it's just starting to get warm. But right now it's still only around 20C. So i think that explains why it's not responding.
I just checked the plant and one of the traps are closed, and I can see a bug inside. HURRAY!!
One more question, how do i know when to repot my plant, will the trap get too big for the pot quickly?
By kittyklaws
Welcome! :D and Good luck with your new plant!

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it?

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

He gets direct morning sun until noon/1pmish then […]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!