FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Veronis
Has anyone ever grown sarracenia from seed?

I have several that have germinated (unknown varieties that came from outdoors/bees among around a hundred different sarrs; all seeds gathered were mixed in a pot and some sent to me), and I know the basics of caring for seedlings, but is there anything special I can do for sarracenia seedlings to help stimulate their growth (and keep em from dying) while they're still in my house under fluorescent light?
By hackerberry
Hi Veronis,

I have been growing Sarrs from seed for quite some time now and let me say that they are no better than VFTs. It will take them years before they show some sign of adulthood. Very slow growers.

hb
By Lawndude84
Heh, can't be any slower than Neps from seed ;) look on the bright side! :lol:
By kittyklaws
Congrats and Good luck! :D
By Adam
My sarr is opening it's flower now.. I guess I'm in it for the long haul :/
By petmantis
Veronis wrote:Has anyone ever grown sarracenia from seed?

I have several that have germinated (unknown varieties that came from outdoors/bees among around a hundred different sarrs; all seeds gathered were mixed in a pot and some sent to me), and I know the basics of caring for seedlings, but is there anything special I can do for sarracenia seedlings to help stimulate their growth (and keep em from dying) while they're still in my house under fluorescent light?

Hi Veronis,

When the weather warms up, move the seedlings outside. Keep them in a tray of water with other Sarracenia or VFTs, etc. The key to keeping them alive is always have their feet wet - the water level should be touching the drainage holes on the pot, but the pot of seedlings can even be submerged halfway.

Slowly acclimate them to sunlight: They'll grow faster and be more robust outside, but they may go dormant in autumn, following the natural cycle of the seasons, like a Sarracenia would in nature. If you don't want them dormant, just bring them in before it gets chilly in the autumn, and keep them under fluorescent lights.

Hope this helps!
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!