FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Wolfcub258
Anybody that can help me with the basic care for a Nepenthes pitcher plant? I genuinely have no idea what I’m doing with this plant.

I’ll reply with a photo when I get home.
Got it on clearance at a local home decor shop for $5. The leaves themselves are in perfect shape but it was missing most of its pitchers.
By optique
start off full shade, water it with low mineral water under 100 TDS, make sure the water can drain away.

It could take a month to recover/adjust after it starts growing you can go up on the light 90% chance its a ventrata and will enjoy morning or evening sun.
By Wolfcub258
Wolfcub258 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:44 pm Anybody that can help me with the basic care for a Nepenthes pitcher plant? I genuinely have no idea what I’m doing with this plant.

I’ll reply with a photo when I get home.
Got it on clearance at a local home decor shop for $5. The leaves themselves are in perfect shape but it was missing most of its pitchers.
Attachments:
IMG_5767.jpeg
IMG_5767.jpeg (3.5 MiB) Viewed 458 times
By Wolfcub258
optique wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:29 pm start off full shade, water it with low mineral water under 100 TDS, make sure the water can drain away.

It could take a month to recover/adjust after it starts growing you can go up on the light 90% chance its a ventrata and will enjoy morning or evening sun.
Sounds good. This is an odd question that I’ve never bothered looking into before. My tap water is only around 50ppm… does this mean it’s potentially okay for carnivorous plants? I know there is chlorine in it but if you let it sit overnight the chlorine will evaporate. I’ve done that for use in my fish tank before with no issues.
By optique
Its ok for nepenthes just make sure the water drains away to prevent build up. Plants that sit in water treys may have issues because it just builds up. I use floating plants outside to stop build ups.

Here is a top down view of a pool of mine notice the little plants that cover the water surface they remove just about everything from the water. My tap water is only 24ppm.

Jedikinigit liked this

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Thanks all. The only place I didn’t think […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!