FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By plantnerdjules
I have some Drosera aff ordensis that I raised from seed. Many thanks to @Nepenthes0260 and the seedbank!.

Two plants are fine and healthy while one has discoloured leaves and looks a bit sick - see photo. They are together in the one pot, obviously experiencing the same growing conditions (peat-sand, rainwater, hot, humid, good light) so I can't think why one of them has a problem. Can anyone help?
Attachments:
20240210_141200ra_dorsera_aff_ordensis.jpg
20240210_141200ra_dorsera_aff_ordensis.jpg (570.14 KiB) Viewed 339 times
By ChefDean
It looks to me that all of them have aphids, and that bottom one is either responding poorly, or they are just hitting it harder.
Treat the aphids and hopefully they'll come around.
By plantnerdjules
Thank you ChefDean, thank you Panman. This is a puzzling issue for me. In the photo there are white specks appearing potentially like aphids. However, when I look very closely and pick up various 'specks' with tweezers, inspect with magnifier etc, I find none of the specks are living matter.

Some 'specks' are actually tiny fragments of perlite (from when I was working with perlite nearby) and some are tiny pieces of white plastic from the edges of the plant pot which is rather old.

Today I've again closely searched both sides of the leaves and I cannot find aphids. Perhaps there were bigger critters on the leaves a while back, that I might have missed, and perhaps currently only a microscopic stage - is that plausible?
By plantnerdjules
As you suggest, I will treat for aphids anyway, to see if that helps.

Other posts on this forum recommend Bioadvanced 3-in-1 but unfortunately that product is not available anywhere in Australia. What would be the next best to use on these delicate plants?
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!