FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post any care guides or tutorials here.

Moderator: Matt

By sans
If you stratify drosera and VFT seeds, will you get a better germination rate?
By MikeB
Drosera: Which species? The temperate ones need stratification, and the tropical ones don't. I wouldn't recommend stratifying tropical seeds since these plants come from an area that doesn't see cold weather.

Venus flytraps: The wild plants bloom in May and June, then drop their seeds in June and July. The seeds start sprouting a couple weeks later, during the height of summer (warm/hot and high humidity). With fresh seed, the germination rate is close to 100%. Stratification is the opposite of what they expect.
By Intheswamp
^^^ What Mike said.

Basically, determine the native territory of the seeds and consider the natural seed drop and germination that happens there...try replicating it. ;)
By sans
Ok. Thanks!
By andynorth
So while on the subject, I am pretty sure the answer is no but do D. filiformis var Floridana "Florida Red, White Flower" and D. Finlaysoniana require cold stratification? One can never be too safe, right?
By ChefDean
Short answer, no.
Longer answer, finlaysoniana is tropical, so no. The FR, WF is a subtropical version of a temperate, so also no.
Having said that, stratification won't hurt them, only delay your enjoyment of them. However, some people have reported that they get a better germination rate on the FR, WF with a stratification.
On a side note, treat the finlaysoniana as an annual. Plant it in the spring, give it lots of direct sunlight, and it'll basically bloom itself to death from late summer on (I has ten plants, and I stopped collecting seeds when I reached two grams).
andynorth, Hedonista liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!