FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By DewsandTraps
Almost all of my Vft's are infested with spider mites(red dots all over) and im wondering on how to get rid of them. I want to repot the vft's soon but I want to get rid of the mites first. I've looked in other topics and overall people say to submerge the vft's in water for some time. How long should i suberge them and should I do it on and off? Or is there some kind of bug killer that I can use to get rid of them?
Most of my vft's are already dormant and about half are recovering from a bit of a drought.
Attachments:
IMG_3159.jpg
IMG_3159.jpg (160.98 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
IMG_3158.jpg
IMG_3158.jpg (137.44 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
By Panman
I recommend submerging them in water for a few days. Make sure the entire plant is covered. I've heard that Avid works for mites but I've never used it.
By ChefDean
Submerging was just recently discussed here.
As to Avid: I typically get spider mites once a year, and I've used Avid. It works very well, but you need to take care with using it. No wind, keep critters away, protective clothing, wash up immediately, etc. Plus, it's spendy.
Another option I've begun to use is predatory mites. You can get 1,000, enough to treat an entire hobby growers collection, for (if I remember correctly) under $15 online.
You could probably find them elsewhere, but I've been very satisfied with naturesgoodguys.com for natural, chemical free solutions such as mites, ladybugs, and predatory nematodes.
By andynorth
How do you get lady bugs to not disperse soon after releasing them? many years ago when I was in to growing roses I tried both lady bugs and preying mantis. Neither stuck around for long and did nothing for my aphid infestation.

Are preying mantis harmful to CP's? If not, might that be another option?
By ChefDean
I get enough ladybugs that some inevitably stick around. But I also wait until my milkweed is heavily infested so they have a greater incentive to stay close. I usually get 1,500+ per order.
Assuming you got oothecae (preying mantis egg cases) the babies don't stick around after hatching because they'll eat each other.
By Intheswamp
ChefDean wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:49 pm I get enough ladybugs that some inevitably stick around. But I also wait until my milkweed is heavily infested so they have a greater incentive to stay close. I usually get 1,500+ per order.
Assuming you got oothecae (preying mantis egg cases) the babies don't stick around after hatching because they'll eat each other.
Well, technically the eaten mantes are still around. A little different form, but.... 👍
andynorth liked this
By DewsandTraps
ChefDean wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:13 pm Another option I've begun to use is predatory mites. You can get 1,000, enough to treat an entire hobby growers collection, for (if I remember correctly) under $15 online.
You could probably find them elsewhere, but I've been very satisfied with naturesgoodguys.com for natural, chemical free solutions such as mites, ladybugs, and predatory nematodes.

Could you send me the link of the specific predatory mites that you bought?
By davinstewart
I've also heard that spider mites don't enjoy higher humidity. I've definitely had more problems when I try to overwinter my vfts indoors and the humidity drops to ~30%.

So maybe bump up the humidity if it's low?

Also, if you're overwintering your vfts the you might want to let them go dormant. I'm thinking that cold temps might be good for killing off the mites as well.
By DewsandTraps
ChefDean wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:49 am https://www.naturesgoodguys.com/product ... 3376376003

Thanks.

davinstewart wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:29 pm So maybe bump up the humidity if it's low?

Also, if you're overwintering your vfts the you might want to let them go dormant. I'm thinking that cold temps might be good for killing off the mites as well.

The temp where I'm keeping most of my flytraps is around 60 degrees F with about 45% humidity. Is that considered cold and humid?
By ChefDean
davinstewart wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:29 pm I've also heard that spider mites don't enjoy higher humidity.
Not necessarily. I get spider mites every year, but not until mid to late summer when the humidity is ~ 60%. Plus, because these plants are almost constantly in a moist, if not wet, environment, the immediate humidity where the plants and mites inhabit will be higher.
davinstewart wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:29 pmI'm thinking that cold temps might be good for killing off the mites as well.
Freezing maybe, but spider mites burrow into the media and hibernate through the winter.

Has anyone heard about this population of giant tr[…]

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!