FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Gary
Hi all. I noticed some shiny webbing on the rhizome, so started looking for mold, spider mites etc. After poking around a bit, this guy crawled out of the media. Haven't seen one of these before. Any ideas who I'm dealing with here? I wasn't planning to repot the plant for a few more months, but it might be worth a look at the roots to see if I have an infestation. All advice is welcome!
I looked back through some pics from summer, this might be a budworm. They infested some of the outdoor flowering plants this year, but I never saw them in the soil.
1126231546b.jpg
1126231546b.jpg (263.76 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
By Anzenix
Oh thats crazy, kind of reminds me of a mealworm lol not sure if thats what it is though
By Gary
Yeah, it's kinda like the budworms I found on the petunias this summer. They're persistent and tough, even Captain Jack's had trouble knocking them down. I finally gave up and uprooted the petunias.
I never did see any on the Sarrs or VFTs, though. This critter is pretty similar to the budworms.
By Gary
That sure does look like the worm I found. And there was a web of shiny silk on the rhizome right above it.
I'll inspect all the Sarrs asap and get some caterpillar killer right away. I'd hate to lose this plant, it's a really large pretty Dana's Delight.
Thanks so much for the link. Super helpful!
MikeB liked this
By Gary
A question - would these attack VFTs as well as Sarrs? This is my first experience with these little buggers and if they like to eat VFTs as well, I'll treat all the plants.
By MikeB
There is a Venus flytrap cutworm, but that's all it feeds on. Unless you live near an area where flytraps grow wild, you're highly unlikely to encounter it.

If you're going to use a Bt treatment, then it won't hurt the flytraps to be sprayed with it.
Gary liked this
By Gary
Yes, the Bt treatment will start in the morning. I live in central AZ, the only plants that grow here are spiky and can draw blood from 10 feet away.
That caterpillar I found on the Sarr seems to have been the only one (crosses fingers). I haven't seen any more webs, either.
By andynorth
Gary wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:31 am Yes, the Bt treatment will start in the morning. I live in central AZ, the only plants that grow here are spiky and can draw blood from 10 feet away.
Jumping Cactus are the worse. I remember getting one stuck on my left hand, then right hand, then left hand and so on when I was a kid. Barefoot did not help and it took a minute to get that stupid thing off.

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Thanks all. The only place I didn’t think […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!