FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Camden
So I just made this…
IMG_0389.jpeg
IMG_0389.jpeg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 1419 times
I’m a little worried about the heli and humidity. Should I bag the whole thing?
By Panman
It depends on what the heli is. I have a heterodoxa x minor that is growing on my desktop along with a foliculata x minor and another more complex cross. I give them a mist now and then, but they are doing well with just humidity from the water tray and live moss.

My bigger concern is drainage. Neither helis nor cephs like to have their roots sitting in water but they like to be wet. If that bowl doesn't drain, I think you are going to be inviting rot.
By Camden
The heli is an H. Minor by the way.

I did think of that. I put rocks at the bottom of the bowl so the water would go there and not touch the roots of the plants.
Attachments:
It’s kind of dark but they are there
It’s kind of dark but they are there
image.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 1405 times
Last edited by Camden on Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Panman
I'm afraid that is not going to be deep enough. Nether of them like their feet in the water, and both of them get fairly long roots. Just like flytraps.
By Panman
I know that minors are more tolerant of humidity, but I don't know what level. I know that the hybrids are much more forgiving.
Camden liked this
By DragonsEye
I see you’re trying to make me jealous of how well cephs do in your care. LoL

As long as this plants is not, especially near, and dear to you, or the only one in your possession, experimenting is not a horrible thing to do. What are you using as a media? I would suggest that the media, as a whole should be very coarse and chunky to promote air exchange throughout the media, and to avoid anaerobic conditions. If you do, so, success should be possible although I can’t tell you how difficult or hard it will be. I’ve never tried this method with either type of plant before. A bigger concern, in my opinion, will be likely issues with algae growth, and possibly overheating of the media. In your picture, it looks like the bowl has sunlight shining on it. That could easily contribute strongly to both aforementioned issues.
By Gary
A couple seasons ago I made a similar planter in a large plastic bowl. I put 2" of lava rock in the bottom, ~3" of LFSM on top of the rocks, topped off with a few inches of peat/Perlite mix. All materials well-rinsed in distilled water. It has no drainage and uses a central well that goes to the bottom of the bowl for watering.
I was concerned that root rot may be a problem but so far so good. I've got a bunch of VFTs growing in there and they've done very well. When I repotted them last spring the media smelled fresh with no indication of anaerobic bugs.
The large surface area loses a lot of moisture in the AZ summer heat, but it seems to help keep the VFTs humidified.
Just my .02
Camden liked this
By Camden
DragonsEye wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:04 am I see you’re trying to make me jealous of how well cephs do in your care. LoL

As long as this plants is not, especially near, and dear to you, or the only one in your possession, experimenting is not a horrible thing to do. What are you using as a media? I would suggest that the media, as a whole should be very coarse and chunky to promote air exchange throughout the media, and to avoid anaerobic conditions. If you do, so, success should be possible although I can’t tell you how difficult or hard it will be. I’ve never tried this method with either type of plant before. A bigger concern, in my opinion, will be likely issues with algae growth, and possibly overheating of the media. In your picture, it looks like the bowl has sunlight shining on it. That could easily contribute strongly to both aforementioned issues.
ahaha they aren't that bad, some cephs just seem to hate you to your guts and others are fine.

Oh, no I have multiple of each of the plants I put in there. Its okay :)

Im just using whatever was in the pots previously. The whole thing is made up of 2/3: 50/50 lfsm/perlite & 1/3: 60/40 silica sand/peat I'm assuming.

Actually I had it there just for the picture, here is where its home is:
IMG_0408.JPG
IMG_0408.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 1299 times
andynorth liked this
Sundew dormancy

Hi all. It appears that my unknown volunteer sunde[…]

Peter D'Amato passed today

I'm sorry to hear this.

Hello from Chicago, Illinois.

I'm just starting out with carnivorous plants &[…]

Has anyone heard about this population of giant tr[…]

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!