FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,
I bought some Drosera Adelae in the past and I've been growing it for a while indoors under my growth lights. I've noticed that it seems to grow a ton of little plants from the root, that they grow big, then eventually die off, then grow back from the roots again, instead of like my other drosera where they just turn into a big plant over time.

Is this normal for Adelae? They seem quite happy and spread like crazy in my pot, but I constantly get new plants where old ones seem to die off.

Also the LFSM in my pot seems to have come to life again and might be taking up space where sundews used to grow as well.

By Huntsmanshorn
Nikson wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:59 pm Hey all,
I bought some Drosera Adelae in the past and I've been growing it for a while indoors under my growth lights. I've noticed that it seems to grow a ton of little plants from the root, that they grow big, then eventually die off, then grow back from the roots again, instead of like my other drosera where they just turn into a big plant over time.

Is this normal for Adelae? They seem quite happy and spread like crazy in my pot, but I constantly get new plants where old ones seem to die off.
Yes, that's quite normal, and no, Drosera adelae is not supposed to keep dying and growing back by the roots. Cool how that works isn't it? /s
By Nikson
optique wrote:mine has filled a 6in pot and also growing out the bottom holes.
Yeah mine are starting to grow out the bottom of the pot too, I cut them up and put them in a new pot and now they're spreading in there haha.
nimbulan wrote:D. adelae was my first CP and in 10 years, I've never been able to figure out how to stop this. I think you're the first person I've run into who has the same problem.
Yeah! It's so weird, I'm used to seeing people with pots shoved full of them but mine just keep growing, dying, growing, dying, then rushing to fill out the sides of the pot.
Panman wrote:The Savage Garden says that this is normal for this plant.
That makes sense, thanks for the help! I wonder if I should move the LFSM that came alive in the middle of the pot, I think it's blocking new growth from poking out in the center.
By Panman
My adelaehasnt been doing anything, so I just bagged it and moved it out from under the Yescom lights. Hopefully that will help.
Nikson liked this
By DragonsEye
Nikson wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:44 pm I was wondering, is it possible I'm giving them too much light? Since they're like 8-10 inches under some Yescom225s. Or is that fine, and they're just being fussy like normal?
Mine do seem to do better under lower light than most dews.
By Nikson
Yeah I think you guys might be on to something. Like my cape sundews are doing horribly under the Yescoms as stated in my other thread, so I moved my Adelae under those lights instead. Hopefully it causes them to grow nicer, instead of just dying when small.
By Nikson
Repotted my Adelae into a slightly larger pot, and to check on the roots. Seems to be growing roots like crazy, but the plants it puts out keep getting smaller and smaller compared to when I first got it. I wonder if it's because its getting colder and the days are getting shorter in Georgia now? Just weird compared to what it looked like when I got it last year!

By andynorth
Panman wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:41 pm The Savage Garden says that this is normal for this plant.
Is this "The Savage Garden" you are referring to?

I just purchased 2 of the 4 "4 Sisters Of Queensland", Drosera Adelae and Drosera Prolifera. From everything I have read on these 4, they require less direct light and not as much heat as most Drosera. My greenhouse has varying levels so I can increase or decrease light by placing the plant underneath another plant on a higher shelf. This also decreases the temp for that shelf. Has worked well for my one Nep that I still own and my Ceph thrives there. It is also where I place new plants that will later be introduced to the outside world.

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Thanks all. The only place I didn’t think […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!