FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By FriskyBiscuit
So I'm currently acclimating two Neps, my Miranda and my Spectabilis x Hamata using the bag method. I was told a few different things and research can't answer a specific question I had. Which is how do you keep them from molding while acclimating? There's so much condensation from the humidity in the bags (they have holes and I've opened them about an inch after 3 days). But there currently isn't any mold, but I do know it can happen so wanna take steps to avoid.

I've had someone tell me to open the bags and wipe them out but I feel that that resets the acclimating. Then I was told to have the opening pointing at a fan for airflow. Then I read when researching that you shouldn't do that 🤦🏻 it's a mess lol I just don't want to risk them growing mold while in the bags. Otherwise I feel very confident now about taking care of them after the the acclimation period :)
What they look like after I got home just now but I'm too nervous to open it
Attachments:
20231009_223243.jpg
20231009_223243.jpg (8.89 MiB) Viewed 1682 times
By specialkayme
The only nepenthes I've acclimated were the very particular ones (eddy, villosa, and BM). I wouldn't even consider it for some of the more vigorous growers. Not that you're doing anything wrong with it. Just think it's unnecessary.

But in direct answer to your question, I wouldn't worry about mold. The acclimation time period isn't long enough for mold to establish a foothold. Usually a week or two. But if you notice some, I use a fungicide sprayed on a paper towel and wiped on the mold.
Panman, FriskyBiscuit liked this
By alecStewart1
FriskyBiscuit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:34 am Which is how do you keep them from molding while acclimating? There's so much condensation from [ ... ]
But there currently isn't any mold, but I do know it can happen so wanna take steps to avoid.
Whenever bag acclimating I've never had issues with mold. Just make sure they're getting some light, which is one way to prevent mold. Mold likes cold, damp and dark environments.

I wouldn't bag them for along, most of them time after 3 days open up the bag a little bit, and a couple of days after that open the bag up fully or just take the plants out.
FriskyBiscuit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:34 am I've had someone tell me to open the bags and wipe them out but I feel that that resets the acclimating. Then I was told to have the opening pointing at a fan for airflow. Then I read when researching that you shouldn't do that 🤦🏻 it's a mess lol I just don't want to risk them growing mold while in the bags. Otherwise I feel very confident now about taking care of them after the the acclimation period :)
What they look like after I got home just now but I'm too nervous to open it
Don't overthink it. If you feel you need to check the plant, open the bag, look at it, and then close the bag back up. It's not that big of a deal.

Only think I would say is don't keep them in there for super long. Only time you should do that is you're trying to get cuttings to root, and that's usually only for a month or a little longer.

Here's a simple breakdown if it helps:
  1. Leave the bags closed for about 3 days
  2. Open them up a little bit after those 3 days
  3. After 2 days, either
    1. Take the plants out of the bags
    2. Open up the bags completely and wait another 2 days before taking them out of the bags
FriskyBiscuit liked this
By FriskyBiscuit
specialkayme wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:10 pm The only nepenthes I've acclimated were the very particular ones (eddy, villosa, and BM). I wouldn't even consider it for some of the more vigorous growers. Not that you're doing anything wrong with it. Just think it's unnecessary.
Thank you! I think I read that peroxide also works? That's interesting to know tho, I figured they all needed to acclimates but that makes me feel a better about the other two I didn't do it to. Which I believe are hardier than most so not too worried.
Mainly just glad mold growth isn't as common a problem as I thought
By FriskyBiscuit
alecStewart1 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:34 pm Don't overthink it. If you feel you need to check the plant, open the bag, look at it, and then close the bag back up. It's not that big of a deal.

Only think I would say is don't keep them in there for super long. Only time you should do that is you're trying to get cuttings to root, and that's usually only for a month or a little longer.

Here's a simple breakdown if it helps:
  1. Leave the bags closed for about 3 days
  2. Open them up a little bit after those 3 days
  3. After 2 days, either
    1. Take the plants out of the bags
    2. Open up the bags completely and wait another 2 days before taking them out of the bags

I really appreciate the further acclimating advice :) super helpful! I've been trying not to overthink it, just difficult with all the different info I get sometimes lol

But again thanks! Opening the bags fully tomorrow then :)
By specialkayme
FriskyBiscuit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:03 pm
specialkayme wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:10 pm The only nepenthes I've acclimated were the very particular ones (eddy, villosa, and BM). I wouldn't even consider it for some of the more vigorous growers. Not that you're doing anything wrong with it. Just think it's unnecessary.
Thank you! I think I read that peroxide also works? That's interesting to know tho, I figured they all needed to acclimates but that makes me feel a better about the other two I didn't do it to. Which I believe are hardier than most so not too worried.
Mainly just glad mold growth isn't as common a problem as I thought
Avoid peroxide. It isn't the best disinfectant at diluted concentrations, and kills any cells at the right concentration. More people have hurt their plants with it than had an impact on mold.

After some experience and time, consider giving it a shot if other things don't work. Starting out, avoid it. There are other options with less potential drawbacks.
FriskyBiscuit liked this
By FriskyBiscuit
Good info thank you!! Bc I really would've tried it and most likely hurt my plants. Thankfully bags come off in another day or two and so far mold so I think I'm be in the clear :D
By FriskyBiscuit
@specialkayme Would this work for Sundews as well? I just noticed a teeny tiny bit of mold on my Sundews soil, near the base and I scraped it off already but then I remembered this thread lol
By specialkayme
What kind of mold?

There are some kinds that can be very damaging to plants, sundews and nepenthes included. There are others you can just scrape or wipe away occasionally. I try not to use any products if I don't have to, as they all have unintended consequences (or could). But, when forced to, I usually use this stuff (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B ... UTF8&psc=1). I again prefer not to spray it directly on any plants, and never in the pitchers of nepenthes or on the leaves of sundews. But I've been known to drench the soil when a particularly bad batch of slime mold picks up.

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Thanks all. The only place I didn’t think […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!