FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By EddyDeWallyvis
Hello,

*first post here so move if placed in wrong place*

I want to get into carnivorous plants. From what I've read so far, it seems that (most)carnivorous plants needs a alot of direct sunlight. I will insert an image about the available space I have for sunlight exposure. Location is Belgium.

-Are there any carnivorous plants that can be held inside 24/7?
-What carnivorous plants do you suggest for my window lay-out?
Attachments:
Window Lay Out.png
Window Lay Out.png (11.69 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
By Panman
First, welcome to the forum! For getting started, I would recommend Drosera capensis the Cape Sundew. They grow well indoors with bright light. A northeast window may not provide enough light for any carnivorous plant, so you may need to consider supplementing it with an LED light on a timer.
EddyDeWallyvis liked this
By Intheswamp
Welcome to the forum, Eddy! Great folks and info here!

I haven't had a full cup of coffee yet this morning so I can't tell a lot from your diagram. A northeast exposure isn't the greatest angle and at your latitude the sun will travel lower than it will in the USA, except for one small spot in Minnesota. I would only use the light coming in the window(s) for "bonus" light and rely on artificial lighting for the main light. Does *any* direct light come into the window? If so, for how long?

Pitcher plants and flytraps require the most (LOTS) of light. Pings and some drosera do not "require" intense light, but most of the the drosera (sundews) do better with high light levels. I've never grown pings so can't say a lot about their light needs. Varieties of Drosera capensis seem to do fairly well in cooler areas and tolerate less light than do, say, filiformis varieties. But, again, all will do better with good light. I think that without extra/artificial light and only window lighting from a northeast exposure that the plants will struggle no matter the type plant.

I'm not sure what is available in your area for lighting. It depends on how big of an area of plants you want to give light to. A 0.3 meter diameter circle of light/plants is about the minimum to shoot for and the simplest. Going larger requires a bit more thought. I would start with at least an LED bulb that's equivalent to a 100w incandescent bulb. 3000k to 7000k temperature is ok. 3000k will promote more flowering while the higher temperatures will promote more vegetable (leaf, stem) growth. I prefer the higher temperatures. These are simple, retail LED bulbs. There are also purpose-built "grow lights". Many of these produce a very purple light that promotes very good growth but personally I don't like the colored lights as I'd rather see my plants in their natural color...it is also easier to see if a plant is having problems under "normal" lights. But, there are also "white" grow lights. You'll find pricing on them varies a good bit. Again, like I mentioned, I don't know what's available to you. Before buying anything you might post it here on the forum ( a link to it would be great) and let folks give you some feedback on it. Even something as simple as a single, regular 100w light bulb can work for a single pot or two, though. It is not an insurmountable problem to solve. ;)

Panman's suggestion of a Cape sundew (drosera capensis) of some variety would be great to start with. I *strongly* suggest that you start with a young plant so to keep your interest going. But, be sure you check the seed bank out. Free seeds for the cost of postage!

Here is a link to the Seed Bank Inventory: FlytrapCare Community Seed Bank Scroll down towards the bottom (below the seed listing) for instructions on how to request the seeds. If you have questions about the process...just ask. :D I'm not sure about how the bonus and all works internationally so inquire about that.

Best wishes and welcome, again, to the forum!
By Intheswamp
One other thing... As for keeping drosera/sundew plants beneath lights you might want to keep to the smaller, lower growing varieties to begin with. Spatulatas, capensis, tokaiensis, capillaris, or intermedia (you can get a bonus of intermedia I *think*) would all be good, lower growing plants that would fit well beneath a light. Filiformis grow tall...easily 30cm or taller. The taller varieties can be problematic in the fact you have to raise the light so high above them that the lower parts (and other, shorter plants) may not get the light intensity that they need. With the lower growing plants you should be able to keep most any light bulb close enough to a mix of them without any being deprived of good lighting. Hopefully that made sense. :)
By EddyDeWallyvis
Panman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:28 pm First, welcome to the forum! For getting started, I would recommend Drosera capensis the Cape Sundew. They grow well indoors with bright light. A northeast window may not provide enough light for any carnivorous plant, so you may need to consider supplementing it with an LED light on a timer.
Thx for the reply.
I kinda jumped the gun a bit and bought a Dionaea muscipula and a Nepenthes from my local nursery.
I know the Dionaea needs lots of sunshine. Any advise on what to look out for when buying a grow lamp?
They both share the same kinda soil, yet I've read that the Nepenthes is better off with a different kinda soil. If so, what soil is best for the Nepenthes? Also, does the Nepenthes require time under the lamp?
For both, it is better to use demineralised water or rainwater rather then tapwater, right?
Attachments:
IMG_20230703_163506380.jpg
IMG_20230703_163506380.jpg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 1515 times
IMG_20230703_163418552.jpg
IMG_20230703_163418552.jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 1515 times
IMG_20230703_163447614.jpg
IMG_20230703_163447614.jpg (3.92 MiB) Viewed 1515 times
By EddyDeWallyvis
Intheswamp wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:04 pm Welcome to the forum, Eddy! Great folks and info here!

I haven't had a full cup of coffee yet this morning so I can't tell a lot from your diagram. A northeast exposure isn't the greatest angle and at your latitude the sun will travel lower than it will in the USA, except for one small spot in Minnesota. I would only use the light coming in the window(s) for "bonus" light and rely on artificial lighting for the main light. Does *any* direct light come into the window? If so, for how long?

Pitcher plants and flytraps require the most (LOTS) of light. Pings and some drosera do not "require" intense light, but most of the the drosera (sundews) do better with high light levels. I've never grown pings so can't say a lot about their light needs. Varieties of Drosera capensis seem to do fairly well in cooler areas and tolerate less light than do, say, filiformis varieties. But, again, all will do better with good light. I think that without extra/artificial light and only window lighting from a northeast exposure that the plants will struggle no matter the type plant.

I'm not sure what is available in your area for lighting. It depends on how big of an area of plants you want to give light to. A 0.3 meter diameter circle of light/plants is about the minimum to shoot for and the simplest. Going larger requires a bit more thought. I would start with at least an LED bulb that's equivalent to a 100w incandescent bulb. 3000k to 7000k temperature is ok. 3000k will promote more flowering while the higher temperatures will promote more vegetable (leaf, stem) growth. I prefer the higher temperatures. These are simple, retail LED bulbs. There are also purpose-built "grow lights". Many of these produce a very purple light that promotes very good growth but personally I don't like the colored lights as I'd rather see my plants in their natural color...it is also easier to see if a plant is having problems under "normal" lights. But, there are also "white" grow lights. You'll find pricing on them varies a good bit. Again, like I mentioned, I don't know what's available to you. Before buying anything you might post it here on the forum ( a link to it would be great) and let folks give you some feedback on it. Even something as simple as a single, regular 100w light bulb can work for a single pot or two, though. It is not an insurmountable problem to solve. ;)

Panman's suggestion of a Cape sundew (drosera capensis) of some variety would be great to start with. I *strongly* suggest that you start with a young plant so to keep your interest going. But, be sure you check the seed bank out. Free seeds for the cost of postage!

Here is a link to the Seed Bank Inventory: FlytrapCare Community Seed Bank Scroll down towards the bottom (below the seed listing) for instructions on how to request the seeds. If you have questions about the process...just ask. :D I'm not sure about how the bonus and all works internationally so inquire about that.

Best wishes and welcome, again, to the forum!
Awesome advise!!!
I will link you to my online shop.
Problem is, it's all in Dutch or French., no English option. Maybe you can help with just the pictures. If not, ask and I will translate as good as possible(If set to Dutch"NL" in the language option and when you've clicked on a product "toon meer"="show more").

https://www.bol.com/be/nl/l/kweeklampen/55068/

I will upload a picture where in my house I can provide the most direct sunlight exposure. The right window is pointed at the east. I have roughly about 4-5 hours(7:00 AM-12:00AM) of direct sunlight through this window. After this period, the sun has moved behind my building.
Attachments:
IMG_20230703_170312943_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230703_170312943_HDR.jpg (3.4 MiB) Viewed 1506 times
By Panman
Agreed. That is a perfect spot for nepenthes, a cape sundew, even some Mexican butterworts. It is not likely going to be enough light for a Venus Flytrap, however.

As far as the lights go, I would skip any of those gooseneck type lamps like this

I've used one of these before, with good luck for just one plant. You do need to keep it very close to the plant.
https://www.amazon.com/AgroBrite-14-Wat ... 146&sr=8-4
By Intheswamp
I agree, the window looks nice for those plants. A small flytrap might squeeze enough light out of it to survive...but it won't thrive. So far, in my short time in the hobby, I'm kind of centering towards sundews/drosera. Flytraps have been kinda problematical for me, they're still way behind in the learning curve for me. The neps and most sundews will do well there. I'll mention drosera capensis again...they like cool air but bright light...they would do well in that spot, I believe. They come from higher altitudes in South Africa...close to Capetown, if my memory is good (which would surprise me :mrgreen: ).
By EddyDeWallyvis
After some browsing, I found this one:

https://www.bol.com/be/nl/p/ortho-led-g ... oductTitle

50w, 3000k.
Will this be enough for for my flytrap?
My window should be enough for my Nepenthes(on sunny days)? Extra time under the light required? Any advise for soil(mixture) for the Nepenthes?
By Panman
That looks like it should work for the flytrap. As for the nepenthes, it should be okay by itself on the window. It wouldn't hurt to be near the grow light, but not too close. As far a soil for nepenthes, I have used 50/50 peat/perlite or straight sphagnum moss. That being said, my nepenthes experience is limited to the most hardy crosses and species. Others may have a better suggestion for soil. Very important for the nepenthes is to never let it dry out, but never sit it in water. I water until water comes out the bottom and then wait until the surface is barely damp before watering again. Indoors, I have found it beneficial to mist the nepenthes to encourage pitchers. It needs to be a fine mist, and you don't want to leave water on the leaves for too long.
By EddyDeWallyvis
Panman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:20 pm That looks like it should work for the flytrap. As for the nepenthes, it should be okay by itself on the window. It wouldn't hurt to be near the grow light, but not too close. As far a soil for nepenthes, I have used 50/50 peat/perlite or straight sphagnum moss. That being said, my nepenthes experience is limited to the most hardy crosses and species. Others may have a better suggestion for soil. Very important for the nepenthes is to never let it dry out, but never sit it in water. I water until water comes out the bottom and then wait until the surface is barely damp before watering again. Indoors, I have found it beneficial to mist the nepenthes to encourage pitchers. It needs to be a fine mist, and you don't want to leave water on the leaves for too long.
Great!!!
Ordered the lamp and should be here wednesday.
For specific [insert plant] care, I will revert my attention to the subfora for these plants.
Thanks alot for the advise and help!!!
Panman liked this
By Bluefire
Panman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:20 pm That being said, my nepenthes experience is limited to the most hardy crosses and species.
I don't know if it's different in other countries, but at least in the U.S. you can't really get a Nepenthes that can't survive on a windowsill at your average garden center. Mostly it's just the common hybrids (usually ventricosa x something else).

The Nepenthes the original poster purchased looks a little like a N x 'Lady Luck' / 'Bloody Mary' or some similar hybrid (ampullaria x ventricosa) so I'm going to say misting is probably a good idea, I had one that really hated low humidity.
April 2024 Photo Contest - Stuck on You

Much thanks to Optique and what an incredible, hea[…]

Liberation from Lowe’s

Holy moly! Wait that division just happens natural[…]

A question: do sarracenia need intense light dow[…]

Results of self pollinating?

The ovary is 1/2 inch across? Or the umbrella is[…]

Flytrap ID

Bohemian Garnet My BG is young, and there are si[…]

Nwpenthes grow tent help

I haven't tried putting chilled water into the h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!