FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Barlapipas 6
It’s a kinda long story so if you want you can skip it and read the last question. So I collect insects, to feed my plants or to pin them. Today my S.purpurea caught a wasp so I took it. Yesterday a small fly went into my room and I hit it with a ruler and then I trapped it in a transparent box thing so I can feed it to my plants. So because I took the wasp from the plant, I gave it the now dead fly. Then I putted the wasp in the box thing with water to clean it, but then something white and very sticky was on the wasps legs. It was fly eggs. There were all over in the box. So I washed it and remove as many eggs (there were like 10 - 15). So I thought that the fly was pregnant and before it died it laid eggs. I immediately removed the fly from the plant and threw it. I hope the plant or the wasp don’t have eggs on them. So my question is can maggots damage Sarracenias?
By optique
Common housefly larva are not(in the US). They were used medically on and in the human body not to long ago.
By MikeB
Maggots inside the pitchers are more snacks for the plant.
By Barlapipas 6
Today I killed a fly and then gave it to the plant. After some hours I saw fly eggs floating in the pitcher. Why almost every fly that I kill the last months are pregnant? Anyway, the plant will eat some extra babies too :twisted:
Attachments:
71A26678-699E-425E-BDA2-993ACA2FE23E.jpeg
71A26678-699E-425E-BDA2-993ACA2FE23E.jpeg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 1059 times
By steve booth
Flies reproduce fairly frantically see below

Like many insects, the common house fly experiences a four-phase life cycle, beginning when a fertilized female finds a suitable location for laying her eggs. The gestation of a house fly egg is only 24 hours, and infestations spread at alarming rates. Larvae emerge from their eggs and begin feeding. Using their egg site as a source of food, the larvae, which are commonly referred to as maggots, eat for four days in order to store nutrients for metamorphosis.

Following the larval phase, maggots migrate to find dryer, dark locations within which to pupate. During this phase, the wormlike maggot undergoes a complete transformation, sprouting three pairs of legs and a pair of wings. When the housefly emerges after four days of transformation, it will be fully formed. Within a few hours, females are capable of reproduction.

Cheers
Steve
By Barlapipas 6
Good information 👍 ( that I know but others might not ). I just thought that it’s weird that most of the flies that I kill the last months are pregnant. It’s probably just a coincidence.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!