FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
I have a pot of hitchhiker sundews I extracted out of my B52's LFSM at the end of last year, they were basically just little tiny plantlets that popped up out of the LFSM, no doubt from seed nearby.

I moved them all into a little pot to grow, and they've since grown into about a half an inch to an inch long.

I would just leave them in there, but the LFSM that they're stuck is starting to turn goopy and into mush that smells really, really bad, and I feel like I should repot them. Is that ok? It won't hurt them or shock them too much, will it? They look pretty healthy to me otherwise, and I feed them once a week with MaxSea.

By Nikson
Sounds good, got them repotted.

I didn't really want to move them since they were growing so well and none of them had roots long enough to go through the bottom of the pot yet, so they were kind of hard to repot, but the LFSM was just stinking really badly and was turning into a congealed mush.

I wasn't sure exactly how to handle them really well since they only have short roots, so I kind of just poked a small hole in the lfsm and stuck them into it and pushed the LFSM around it. Should be ok, I think!

I wonder if their growth was slowed down by being really crowded in the original small pot as well, or are they not effected as much by crowded conditions when small?

By Intheswamp
I bet you don’t have much of a setback in growth…that new, fresh growing medium will probably make up for the uprooting if they were growing in rancid conditions beforehand! ;)
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:32 am I bet you don’t have much of a setback in growth…that new, fresh growing medium will probably make up for the uprooting if they were growing in rancid conditions beforehand! ;)
Yeah here's hoping! They were just in the original LFSM they came in with my B52, and of course i couldn't take them out then since they were seedlings that just sprouted after the B52 was on my deck for a few weeks, but now its all mush and stinky so I had to get them out of there lol. Hope it makes them grow faster, since I'm giving them a little more space as well!
Intheswamp liked this
By Hendre
I often start cuttings in a loose medium like LFS or peat-heavy mixes to make it easy to move them without disturbing roots too much. Otherwise small ones are often bulletproof :D

List keeps growing! Some really nice grabs. :D

If that's the case, it looks like it is roughy the[…]

October bonus

It's definitely cooling off, and leaves are changi[…]

New donation

I'd like to thank Aquis31 for his latest donation.[…]

New ping owner…. Help?

It sounds like you're doing well tbh! There are a […]

Heliamphora pollination

Day 3 after the flower has opened, and still no po[…]

Have you tried attenboroughii, lowii, chaniana, […]

Large burn on my Nepenthes

That is unfortunate but at least it isn't fatal. T[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!