FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
Hey everyone,

I have these binata 'small red form' that are all together in a pot. When should I separate them into their own pots?

Sorry for the bad pictures:
20220626_213508.jpg
20220626_213508.jpg (6.79 MiB) Viewed 1053 times
20220626_213523.jpg
20220626_213523.jpg (6.8 MiB) Viewed 1053 times
By NightRaider
Looks pretty overdue if anything to me. Most drosera (not pygmies, probably some others) are generally pretty chill about repotting, so I'm normally not too concerned about separating them too early. Tbh I usually root my water-floated cuttings before they have any roots at all and 90% of the time they don't have any issues. For rooted plants, I usually aim for some point before their roots start growing into each other, which I'd imagine those are by this point. Or I do in theory at least, usually I don't get around to doing it until quite a bit later.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but separating and repotting earlier rather than later also helps boost the growth rate significantly. From my observations, plants I've grown from seed and let stay clumped closely together after germination get stunted very quickly, but once moved apart a bit they take off again just as fast. For example, I have a pot of tokaensis that some I divided into 2-3 per ~2x2" cell and some I left growing together as they were sown. None that I left even come close in size to the smallest divided ones. I then later repotted 1 of those cells into a 2.5" pot, where they almost immediately significantly outgrew those left in the tray.
Last edited by NightRaider on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!