FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By felinefancier87
Hi Everyone,

Sorry again for so many posts about N. bicalcarata--I'm still learning how this plant works and hoping to make some kind of future plan when it outgrows my terrarium.

I've been told that it's possible to acclimate this plant to indoor conditions. Has anyone tried this and has success stories? If so, how did you accomplish this (details, please!), at what plant size did you start doing this (height, or plant diameter), and how are you meeting its light and humidity needs (or is it tolerating typical indoor humidity??). Is it still sun-sensitive? (I nearly killed my newly-received plant in the first 24 hours by putting it on a sunny windowsill).

I'd love to hear your stories, good and bad, but especially if you've had success with it. How has your plant changed after doing this? Would you recommend trying it? Is it hard to do?
By Camden
felinefancier87 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:51 pm They're interesting videos but maybe I missed where he tells you how to acclimate the plants? The videos show how well the plants are doing, but I was hoping for some instructions.
Well a simple method would be to put it into a plastic bag and slowly opening it until it it’s completely open, then wait like 2-3 day, then open it completely. Another way is to just stick it into its new environment although that’s kinda risky; taking the chance that it might not and just be stunted and possibly death! (Whoo! That’s a mouthful!)
By DragonsEye
felinefancier87 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:44 amI've been told that it's possible to acclimate this plant to indoor conditions.
Take any information like that with a LARGE grain of salt .... maybe even a salt block. I have never grown bical but I have grown a lot of plants over the years. Your actual indoor conditions will be a major factor. Every home's environment can be different -- even dramatically so. You'll have to look at what your indoor RH is like year-round. For example, my winter RH is typically around 15% because the furnace dries the air out. (Running a room humidifier is useless for me. I live in an apt and apts are not know for their great insulation. When I did try a room humidifier, I still was lucky to get my RH up to 25-30&. Just wasn't worth the hassle or expense.) Most of my Drosera are actually fine with this. However, D. adelae can't handle such low RH. I have to grow that one in a terrarium.
felinefancier87 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:44 am If so, how did you accomplish this (details, please!), at what plant size did you start doing this (height, or plant diameter), and how are you meeting its light and humidity needs (or is it tolerating typical indoor humidity??).
The typical method is to either start leaving the terrarium open by greater and greater amounts for increasing duration over the course of 2-3 weeks -- even longer if it is slow to adjust, or put the plant (pot and all) in a clear plastic bag in a brightly lit area (NO direct sun particularly when the bag is closed up) and then do as was mentioned with the terrarium method. As the container is left more open, just remember to check the media regularly as it will start drying out faster than when the container was closed.
felinefancier87 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:44 am Is it still sun-sensitive? (I nearly killed my newly-received plant in the first 24 hours by putting it on a sunny windowsill).
Again, you need to consider all the factors in your home -- INCLUDING THE SEASON. Most plants grown in a terr will need to be hardened off over time to transition to actual sun. Just how sunny/hot your windowsill is, only you will be able to determine. What direction does it face? Is it an unobstructed window (no trees or big overhang blocking the sunlight)? Is there a building situated so that it reflects a lot of light & heat back at that window? The fact that you are in a northern latitude also means that your sun intensity will likely vary radically as the seasons change. For example, I have a balcony with sliding glass doors with unobstructed SE exposure. Over the winter, I have cacti & succulents in the 1/2 moon window above those doors. I rarely give those plants any water over the winter because winter sun here is rare and very weak. The enforced "drought" prevents them from growing. Otherwise, I'd get a lot of weak, spindly growth. My Drosera would not fare well if I tried growing them there overwinter. However, summer is a completely different story. My balcony gets hot enough to blister one's feet. I have had plants like African Violets that could sit by those glass doors and do well all winter long, only to have them fry in the exact same spot once summer hit. All because our summer sun is MUCH more intense than in winter.

The above responses are OK, but for the faint of h[…]

Input on Neps placement

I have Diane, Lady Luck, Ventrata and hybrids with[…]

The light requirements for a VFT are such that ind[…]

I would think that the TDS would be different in d[…]

Hello from New England

Greetings from another New Englanda’

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

8s, keep looking on Craig's List and any local &qu[…]

should be fine, springtails make their way into co[…]

I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!