FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By felinefancier87
Hi,

My nepenthes bicalcarata, nearly destroyed by sunburn, is now growing a new leaf! However, the end of the leaf where the pitcher develops looks black and the pitcher part looks like a white tuft. Is this normal or did the leaf burn up from my artificial lighting?
Attachments:
20220607_070835.jpg
20220607_070835.jpg (7.27 MiB) Viewed 2593 times
By That one plant boi
Congrats on the new growth! The new bud deformity is normal under the circumstances the plant is under. The next few pitcher buds might turn out like that, but I'd say the plants energy is better spent on recovering right now rather than creating pitchers anyway.
In my experience, bicalcarata definitely doesn't like to be disturbed or stressed. Mine also went through a crispy experience during mid winter, as did all my other neps, and the bical was by far the slowest to recover, only now picking up again on growth while the rest of my plants done did been growing for the last several months.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By That one plant boi
felinefancier87 wrote:Do you keep this plant indoors? If so, how do you meet its needs for temperature and humidity?
I used to, but it outgrew it's little makeshift terrarium, so now it grows outside under a magnolia tree.

When it was smaller though, I grew it in a knitter keeper with plastic wrap on top to keep in the humidity. In the keeper, I layed layers of wet peat moss to actually raise the humidity, and I had a little Tupper in the center for the pot to sit in so it wasn't sitting in the wet peat the whole time.

And bamslapyourauntiewiththatapplesauce, that was my very cheap temporary lowland terrarium, and it grew very well in there too.

By felinefancier87
I'm in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. Indoors is all I've got to work with.

Do you have photos of how you made it work indoors in this knitter keeper?
By That one plant boi
felinefancier87 wrote:I'm in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. Indoors is all I've got to work with.

Do you have photos of how you made it work indoors in this knitter keeper?
I do, but they aren't great because I never took a full setup photo, but I do have a couple snaps of snippets. From these, I'm hoping you can get the gist of it.

Also, the above user is right in providing info regarding area. I'm in central Florida, so most LL neps do well here, but direct sun will fry them in hours.ImageImage

specialkayme liked this
By That one plant boi
felinefancier87 wrote:How did you keep the plant adequately heated?
I had the entire set up under a four foot T5 bulb fixture with four bulbs, this provided plenty of heat for it. I assume a heat mat could also be used to supplement heat, though I'd do a little research into that before trying it out.

By Supercazzola
My two are close to yours, except I did manage to see a nicely developing pitcher on one of the two types (the red x orange). Can you see in the photo? The photo of the red only has no such luck yet.
Never new bicalc’s were so finicky.
E6944B27-B998-452F-BD4E-0244B46F4ED1.jpeg
E6944B27-B998-452F-BD4E-0244B46F4ED1.jpeg (2.91 MiB) Viewed 2533 times
B19D33AD-CA88-405B-95EF-0165EFFB9962.jpeg
B19D33AD-CA88-405B-95EF-0165EFFB9962.jpeg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 2533 times
By felinefancier87
Oh really? Good to know.

Ok, so my question for the more experienced. I'm planning to do a terrarium setup to make my bicalcarata happy as I can't provide the heat and humidity indoors otherwise. For indoor growers, what do you do to deal with the bicalcarata outgrowing its enclosure? I live in Kelowna, BC, Canada. It is hot and dry in the summer and we get mild winters but still not suitable for outdoor growth. So do you just prune the plant? Get a trellis for the vines? A greenhouse is not an option for me in my living situation and terrariums only get so tall.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!