FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Ewreck
I repotted my vft a few weeks ago, not a full repot just put the plug in a bigger pot cause it had roots growing out the bottom. I’m afraid I didn’t fill the pot enough before I put it in there and now it looks kinda cramped cause I was trying to fill the pot all the way up once it was in there so I didn’t have much of a lip. Now I’m not sure if it’s just the dormancy making it look like this or if I need to maybe take more peat out around it? or when it comes out of dormancy will it kind of correct itself? Hopefully you will be able to tell from the pics.
Also is it bad that my temps are gonna be still at like 70* all week? I live in AZ zone 8b. I just watched Matt’s dormancy video and he said the temps in his greenhouse were surprisingly warm still. I thought the temps were supposed to be like 33-55 for a couple months to let them properly rest. Will mine be ok since it’s still not very cold yet? Or will the decreased photoperiod be enough?
Thanks again and sorry if it’s hard to make sense lol
Attachments:
70920F0C-35A2-4053-A814-1D80A445FC06.jpeg
70920F0C-35A2-4053-A814-1D80A445FC06.jpeg (604.69 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
E169DADA-F4D0-4E48-9B7E-932315A500D1.jpeg
E169DADA-F4D0-4E48-9B7E-932315A500D1.jpeg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 2764 times
6B47ED7C-F84E-4339-9C6F-56A05818C99A.jpeg
6B47ED7C-F84E-4339-9C6F-56A05818C99A.jpeg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 2764 times
By oval
I'm in Florida and in Winter it's between 60s and 80s during the daytime here and mine do all right. The photoperiod and slightly cooler temps seem okay. They know when to go dormant and when to wake up. Just don't keep them as wet as in their growing season.
By TrapsAndDews
Your plant should be fine if it is left outside all year since you live in zone 8. I think flytrap dormancy is affected by both temperature and light. When my flytraps started going into dormancy, they first slowed down growing and some of the outer leaves started dying. Then they start putting out small leaves with tiny traps. I don't know if it's bad for your temperatures to be in the 70's. Do your temperatures get lower in the winter?
By Ewreck
Yea it gets colder but I swear we only have summer and winter months no in between. Usually around Halloween temps drop and then stay but this year it’s still warm..I am just hoping it gets a long enough time being dormant. Also could you tell if my rhizome is buried too deep in the picture ?
By TrapsAndDews
It might be a little too deep. You need to make sure the new leaves coming out are above the surface of the dirt and the rhizome (the white) is underneath the surface.
By optique
I live in zone 8 also it gets in the 20's here at night but always goes back up above freezing in the day time. I have had no issues, even with plants left on tables totally exposed all winter. I feel its just places that stay in the 20's or below in the day time hours that have issues.
By NightRaider
optique wrote:I live in zone 8 also it gets in the 20's here at night but always goes back up above freezing in the day time. I have had no issues, even with plants left on tables totally exposed all winter. I feel its just places that stay in the 20's or below in the day time hours that have issues.
I'm actually really glad to hear that myself since Chef was kinda freaking me out a bit in another thread with this:
ChefDean wrote:The big issue would be letting them freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw, this will definitely kill them.
I mean granted almost all my stuff right now is in larger planters off the ground and next to the house which is as warm as I can get them over ambient, but I still didn't want to wake up one morning to see several hundred dollars worth of plants turned to mush somehow.
By Apollyon
Wouldn't worry too much about temperatures in winter. I live in zone 9b and it runs high 70s often into Christmas and they have no trouble going dormant (albeit slightly later than others). Plant is taking more of its cues from the sun rather than temperature but they'll respond to cold nights if they're exposed to them. It does look like it was planted a little deep but since it is peat moss, you could probably get by by scraping off some of the top layer. Roots grow downwards so you won't have much risk. Perhaps repot it again in February if you're trying to give it breathing room.
Ewreck liked this
By Haaija
I live in Zone 9b and it’s sometimes hot in winter. I just bought a dormant venus flytrap and i was wondering how/ if i should keep it dormant. A lot of people say you should leave them outside, but I am scared it’s going to be too hot and the plant will come out of dormancy. I also don’t know the growing environment where it came from and I am scared if I put it outside it’s going to be different from where it came from.
By Haaija
I also bought D. SPATHULATA, 'LANTAU ISLAND and D. SPATULATA 'BAY' and they are both dormant. They also don’t require dormancy and it’s winter where I’m now. Should I get them out of dormancy and how.
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!