FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By MaxVft
@horsesmouth yes, the usual age they flower is 4-5 years.

As you mentioned and got correct, this one is more than big enough to go dormant outside. You may have to keep it indoors under lights, though, if it is below 50 degrees where you currently live.
By Apollyon
horsesmouth wrote:@Maxvft
3 years old!
Wow, so I should probably just set it out for the winter and let it go dormant right? No point in seeing it struggle so much trying to catch prey.
Yeah, that plant is large enough to where it'll benefit from a dormancy. They do well outside overall. 50 degrees is ok, they just don't do well under freezing conditions. That's more of a natural range for them. As for massaging the trap, I do it about 20-30 times but when I'm walking by and it's still closed, sometimes I'll tap it a couple more times. Personally, I've never really run into trouble when doing that. From what I can see in the pic though, it seems like it closed alright. It'll create a vaccuum of sorts and surround the material. Squeeze it a couple more times to play it safe.
By horsesmouth
Thanks!
I have set it out for now, it's 4 deg C (39.2 F) now, hope it's okay.
Also, since it's 3 years old, I think the current pot might be too small for it.. you can see my OP for reference.. how deep of a pot should I put it in? Or will a terrarium be better?
By davinstewart
Ideally 12" and minimum 4" soil depth imho.
horsesmouth wrote:Thanks!
I have set it out for now, it's 4 deg C (39.2 F) now, hope it's okay.
Also, since it's 3 years old, I think the current pot might be too small for it.. you can see my OP for reference.. how deep of a pot should I put it in? Or will a terrarium be better?
By davinstewart
Btw, terrariums are not generally recommended for venus flytraps and certainly not needed. I'm growing out hundreds of baby flytraps right now at ~30% humidity with ~30-35 dli and they're loving it.

If I were you, I'd buy this pot and fill it with 1 part sphagnum moss : 1 part perlite, and just water it often enough to keep it from drying out.

If you want to induce dormancy then reduce the daylength to < 14 hours and stop feeding it. If you want to try to skip dormancy then keep the daylength above 14 hours and make sure at least one trap is digesting prey at all times. Should do fine either way.
Smartest or bravest spider?

Looks like a Anole.

Anyone recognize this plant?

The two that I have that come close are... 202405[…]

Will capsaicin hurt my CPs?

Watch this video. He jumps until he gets it. They […]

Goodness, that's quite a difference! I'm pretty ne[…]

is this a strike?

it's my first time propagating nepenthes this is a[…]

Hello! I'm wondering how one can tell if they've […]

Help! My VFT is dying

they build up a sugar reserve for winter dormancy.[…]

Water Quality

I use these test strips https://www.amazon.com/g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!