FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

The sundew spatulata I shared here months ago is doing super well, especially after I moved it indoors for the fall and winter under my Yescom growlight. It turned bright red, and sprouted an enormous flower stalk the past two weeks!

Is there anything special I need to do in order to collect seeds from the flower and seed pods?

I've also noticed that the plant itself is no longer making a lot of dew now as well, do I need to start feeding it more or anything? I remember reading that Drosera like mine can flower without dying or anything, yeah?

Thanks in advance!

By Panman
The reduced leaf size and lack of boogeriness (ChefDean's term) has me a little concerned. It may be that the lights are too intense for it. I had a similar situation with some of my sundews this summer under the Georgia sun. As far as pollination, there is nothing special that you need to do. Spatulata should take care of it by itself. I'm not a spatulata expert though, so maybe someone can chime in on the condition of the plant.
Nikson, MaxVft liked this
By Nikson
Panman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:50 pm The reduced leaf size and lack of boogeriness (ChefDean's term) has me a little concerned. It may be that the lights are too intense for it. I had a similar situation with some of my sundews this summer under the Georgia sun. As far as pollination, there is nothing special that you need to do. Spatulata should take care of it by itself. I'm not a spatulata expert though, so maybe someone can chime in on the condition of the plant.
Yeah it's kind of weird. When I moved it under the Yescoms, it grew a LOT of dew at first, like I literally could see THICK goblets on every little tentacle, so boogery and sticky.

Only after it grew the flower did it start to dry up. It still does have dew on a few of the leaves right now, but it doesn't look as "sticky" as it used to be.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!