FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Z_Y
I'm curious about this particular seed bank entry for D. intermedia from "Bear River/Creek" in Monmouth Co. NJ.

I live in this area and afaik there is no Bear River or Bear Creek. There is Black Bear Lake and a Bear Swamp Brook.

Does anyone have any extra information about this location? Is it possibly slightly mislabeled?
By ChefDean
MaxVft wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:24 pm Here it is, according to Google:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Van3URFuStG8WV3j6
That Bear Creek is in Warren County, NJ. There is a Bear Brook in Monmouth County, NJ that was likely changed from Bear Creek to avoid confusion.
MaxVft liked this
By MaxVft
ChefDean wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:17 pm
MaxVft wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:24 pm Here it is, according to Google:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Van3URFuStG8WV3j6
That Bear Creek is in Warren County, NJ. There is a Bear Brook in Monmouth County, NJ that was likely changed from Bear Creek to avoid confusion.
...oops :)
By Z_Y
I'm not even sure if there is a Bear Brook in Monmouth County, there is a Bear Brook very close though in Mercer County to the west, but it looks like the brook never actually enters Monmouth by a few miles.

There's also Bear Swamp Brook, and I've hiked there but it's mostly forest and grassy meadow. There was sphagnum though.
ChefDean, MaxVft liked this
By ChefDean
Looks like you're right, Bear Brook stops abruptly at the turnpike across from The Working Dog Winery. Just ending like that is curious though, because it seems that it would keep going and empty into Assunpink Lake. Maybe it got routed it underground due to the turnpike and other developments.
The Salt Lake Valley has over a dozen streams that ran from the mountains to The Great Salt Lake. Only one runs it's historical path today. A couple do in places, but the majority have been routed underground as soon as they come out of the mountains so as to not interfere with development, or to be routed to treatment plants for drinking water.
Another possibility is that there is a creek known as Bear Creek to the locals. Where I went hunting for 20 years in Utah the locals had their own names for places that were once officially named that, but were changed for one reason or another. However, the locals still called them by the old name.
Curious.
MaxVft liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!