FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By MaxVft
Hello all,

Today is the 4-week mark for my sarracenia stratification and thus the day they come out of stratification. They are in a ziploc baggie with finely chopped live LFSM, but since then the LFSM has grown slightly over the seeds and they are entangled in it. Do I untangle the seeds or leave them be and sow them with the LFSM?

Thanks and all comments/thoughts are appreciated

Max
By Panman
The live sphagnum may out compete your seeds for growth. If at all possible, I would pick them out of the live moss and plant them on chopped dry LFSM (would that make it SFSM?) or peat. If the seeds were really fresh, 4 weeks may be long enough stratification. Personally I don't do anything less than 6 weeks but prefer 8.
MaxVft, elaineo, MikeB liked this
By MaxVft
Yeah I just got them from the FTC seedbank and they didn't have a harvest date. I just ended up following the ICPS protocol which is only Live LFSM and 4 weeks stratification(5 for any purp parentage).
By elaineo
I sow my sarr seeds with the LFSM, using tweezers to pull things apart and make sure nothing's covered. Once I hit the pot with lights, the sphag usually turns red and stops growing. I agree with Panman though, seed bank seeds do better with a longer stratification.
Panman, MaxVft liked this
By MaxVft
elaineo wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:19 pm I sow my sarr seeds with the LFSM, using tweezers to pull things apart and make sure nothing's covered. Once I hit the pot with lights, the sphag usually turns red and stops growing. I agree with Panman though, seed bank seeds do better with a longer stratification.
Ah, ok. That would've been good to know before I spent 20 minutes individually plucking the seeds out with tweezers, lol :lol:
elaineo, Supercazzola liked this
Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!