FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Jackpurps
I’m looking to buy a very large size sarracenia purpurea venosa. Seems as if they are only sold as seeds, small and medium sizes. Larger sizes are always out of stock or unavailable.
By MikeB
Large Sarracenia for sale aren't very common, and they're fairly expensive (to purchase and to ship).

+1 on @Supercazzola's recommendation. Mike Wang has a fantastic collection of Sarracenia. However, even Mike is out of stock on many purpurea's, and the only large one he has is a "marl bog form" from Ontario, Canada (that would be ssp. purpurea, not ssp. venosa). You could always shoot an e-mail to Mike asking if he has a large venosa that he's willing to sell.

Calen Hall also has some nice Sarracenia for sale. Again, no large ones. I have his S. purpurea ssp. venosa Tatnall County, Georgia and S. purpurea "Veinless" plants, and I'm very pleased with them. It'll take a couple more years to get them up to large size, though.
Jackpurps liked this
By Apollyon
I'm also gonna +1 Mike Wang. I didn't have the same experience with Calen but others speak highly of him. He was moving when I reached out. There have been times I e-mailed Mike about an "out of stock" plant and it turned out he had divisions available. It's possible his thread isn't updated entirely (could you imagine updating that :lol: ) His plants are high quality and are surprisingly larger than you'd expect most of the time. I bought some "mediums" that have already flowered.
MikeB, Jackpurps liked this
By MikeB
I saw this in one of your other posts:
Jackpurps wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:37 am I live in a coastal city in hardy zone 10 that on average gets temperatures from 69 F to 49 F during the winter.
Have you considered growing Sarracenia rosea? It looks similar to purpurea ssp. venosa, but it has pink flowers on short stalks versus red flowers on tall stalks. Rosea is native to the Gulf coast area of the U.S., and your winter weather is very similar to that of Pensacola, Florida and Mobile, Alabama. If you can keep the plants outside, they should grow well for you.
Jackpurps liked this
By Jackpurps
Yes I actually have a fat chance variety on the way. Fat chance seems to be a lot easier to find then a regular rosea. Venosa is personally my favorite as I have a medium sized plant that has two four inch traps and the rest are around two inches. Some years back I knew a nursery that sold very large plants however due to Covid they went out of business. Venosa and Rosea are both around the northern Florida area so I’m assuming either one could be grown in my area then, but hopefully indoors will be fine for them. Purpurea Purpurea I guess not and I just have a very small one. But the problem is I can’t grow any of them outside and I don’t want to use the fridge method so my Purpurea Purpurea will probably not last compared to the others? Winters here can be unpredictable as we are getting less and less rain and the last winter was a lot warmer then usual. All my carnivorous plants are growing under lights near an open window that doesn’t get direct sunlight, perhaps if the winter is cold this year my plants will become dormant.
By Jackpurps
MikeB wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:48 pm Large Sarracenia for sale aren't very common, and they're fairly expensive (to purchase and to ship).

+1 on @Supercazzola's recommendation. Mike Wang has a fantastic collection of Sarracenia. However, even Mike is out of stock on many purpurea's, and the only large one he has is a "marl bog form" from Ontario, Canada (that would be ssp. purpurea, not ssp. venosa). You could always shoot an e-mail to Mike asking if he has a large venosa that he's willing to sell.

Calen Hall also has some nice Sarracenia for sale. Again, no large ones. I have his S. purpurea ssp. venosa Tatnall County, Georgia and S. purpurea "Veinless" plants, and I'm very pleased with them. It'll take a couple more years to get them up to large size, though.
Thanks, I don’t think the ssp. purpurea would be a good idea as they seem to need aa even colder winter then venosa.
I’ll check the links out. Thank you!
By Jackpurps
Also price isn’t really an issue. It’s just a disappointment how larger plants are always out of stock and there’s only ever small and medium. Same goes with nepenthes besides the common Home Depot 6inch hanging pot that’s half dead.
By Rammplins
Another +1 for Mike Wang, I ordered some large variety sarrs from him awhile ago and was very impressed of the size of them when I opened the box. They were already 2x larger than all of my other sarrs at the time and they only got bigger from there. I did order right as they were coming out of dormancy however, so im guessing that helped them to fit in the box as the huge traps were just stating to emerge.
By Supercazzola
Jackpurps wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:40 pm
Supercazzola wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:44 am Did you check with Mike Wang ?
I’m not familiar, does he have an online shop or he’s just an user here who I would have to reach out to?
https://sarracenia.proboards.com/threa ... ory-photos
MaxVft, Jackpurps liked this

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!