FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Marissa8751
Hi! I recently purchased this pitcher plant (S. x michelliana back crossed with Sarracenia leucophylla) and the lids of two of the pitchers have slowly started to develop a crispy brown appearance and one of the pitchers seems to have the unhealthy area spreading. I recently purchased a humidifier as well, and I have them under a grow light. I only use rain water for their sitting tray and watering. The plant is also still producing new growth. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments:
S. pic two.jpg
S. pic two.jpg (166.02 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
S. pic one.jpg
S. pic one.jpg (169.48 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
By camsdad66
Gonna be honest with you...and I think most on here will agree. Sarracenia do their absolute best grown outdoors in full sun and with winter dormancy period. With that being said, the humidifier should help, and light needs to be as strong as possible to mimic natural sunlight. Best to get them outdoors, though, if possible. Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

By Sundew grower
Yeah you'll definetly want to get it outside, the humidifier will help with acclimation, but it is not necessary after that, they can tolerate low humidity. Don't just throw it outside though, you'll want to slowly acclimate it to the direct sunlight. (Assuming you got it from somewhere that doesn't grow them outside in full sun anyways)
By Marissa8751
Thank you all so much!! This is really helpful, I really appreciate it. I'll be putting it outdoors.
By MikeB
When you purchased this plant, was it shipped potted or bare-root?
By Marissa8751
It was shipped potted. I haven't removed it from it's original pot, I read that it was best to leave them in it for an extended period.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , Thank you :)

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!