FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Julius Ong
Hi newbie here,

My 1st Pygmy Drosera Lake Badgerup just came via mail yesterday. After a full day today, it still seems down. Dont see any dew on it. Try feeding them a flour beetle but the beetle ended up walking all around. Some said give them a spray of water but it didnt work too. Is it dead?

Can i do anything or just wait?

Also, it looks like there is more then 1 pygmy in the group. Do i need to split them up?

Thanks
Attachments:
9.jpeg
9.jpeg (137.84 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
By Panman
It should be fine. Sundews lose their dew when transported. Some will get it back on the old leaves while others will not. Did it come potted or did you have to do it? If you had to pot it, then I would put it in a plastic bag for a few days to allow it to maintain moisture while it is settling its roots in. Be sure to open it each day to exchange the air so you don't get mold growing.
By Julius Ong
It came potted in a very small pot (1.5 inch deep pot) with a built in wick and secondary water pot that goes together. So I was planning on splitting them and giving it a bigger pot, maybe a 7cm x 7cm x 7 cm pot each. I heard its hard to separate them because they only have 1 root and will die easily. Since they don't have any dew yet, I reckon its a good time to do it but worry they are too stressed to handle it.
By Panman
If they don't have dew, that means they are already stressed. I have heard that pygmies are notoriously tricky to divide and repot. My gut says to leave them as they are and help them get adjusted to their new home.
Julius Ong liked this
By evenwind
And after they've acclimated, when you do a re-pot, try not to disturb the roots. Best thing would be to take the old pot, slide the plants and soil out as one piece and use it as a plug in the new pot.
Julius Ong liked this

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!