FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By mt2021
Greetings Nepenthes heroes!
I have recently received this Nepenthes (maxima x fusca) from a local nursery, it has a wilting vine, I am not sure what was the growing conditions there and how it reached this point!
the question is, if I give it some love will it ever recover and get strong again? or is it a 100% dead cause?

or should I cut it and try to propagate few cuttings out of it? I was able to spot at least x7 basal shoot points on it! they look green and healthy! and since this vine is already wilting will those cuts ever survive and get roots at all if I try and cut it?

I really appreciate your thoughts! :)
thanks.
Attachments:
20210718_114258.jpg
20210718_114258.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 2208 times
20210718_114322.jpg
20210718_114322.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 2208 times
20210718_113955.jpg
20210718_113955.jpg (3.01 MiB) Viewed 2208 times
20210718_113934.jpg
20210718_113934.jpg (4.58 MiB) Viewed 2208 times
By camsdad66
In my opinion you have a few options:

1) Cut the vine off down to maybe one or two nodes and let that grow, and try to root the cuttings from what you removed.
Might want to even try putting a couple of them in pure water, I've had luck rooting them like that, depends on the plant sometimes.

2) Cut the vine off right above the node in the photo that is starting to grow nicely, (about halfway up the vine) take cuttings from what you cut off.

3) Leave it alone entirely and see what happens
Bonus is that you have all those basal shoots, which should do fine!

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

mt2021 liked this
By mt2021
Plant_master wrote:Less light water perhaps idk looks good to me ;)
thanks mate, I will keep it! :)
camsdad66 wrote:In my opinion you have a few options:

1) Cut the vine off down to maybe one or two nodes and let that grow, and try to root the cuttings from what you removed.
Might want to even try putting a couple of them in pure water, I've had luck rooting them like that, depends on the plant sometimes.

2) Cut the vine off right above the node in the photo that is starting to grow nicely, (about halfway up the vine) take cuttings from what you cut off.

3) Leave it alone entirely and see what happens
Bonus is that you have all those basal shoots, which should do fine!

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Thanks for your kind advice! I really appreciate taking your time to help me out! :)
I decided to go with option 3 and will keep it for a while and see how it goes! new cuttings are tempting and might make some money out of them, however I really love to see the upper pitchers on this one and maybe another flower bloom soon!

Kind regards.
Mark
BugBiters liked this
By Supercazzola
When you make some cuttings, always keep an extra for yourself. And no matter how tempting it is to make some money off the Nepenthes cuttings, if you suspect a problem with the plant, it wouldn’t be a cool thing to sell the cuttings to someone else. You would just be spreading the problem around. If you meant growing the cuttings and rooting them and then verifying the plants were healthy and then selling, that is a different story.
By mt2021
Supercazzola wrote:When you make some cuttings, always keep an extra for yourself. And no matter how tempting it is to make some money off the Nepenthes cuttings, if you suspect a problem with the plant, it wouldn’t be a cool thing to sell the cuttings to someone else. You would just be spreading the problem around. If you meant growing the cuttings and rooting them and then verifying the plants were healthy and then selling, that is a different story.
Definitely I agree! nobody should sell any cuttings unless its rooted and healthy and wait for it to grow at least 1 or 2 pitchers on it to advertise it!
I decided to keep the vine anyway ;)
Supercazzola liked this

Will go out in the mail tomorrow. :D

New to carnivorous plants!

Have you seen these? https://www.flytrapcare.com/ […]

Very first mini-bog! :D

VFT nice catch

Those crane flies are a pain. Contrary to popular […]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I have left ventrata cuttings outside till the nig[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1672. I'll PM[…]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome

Weird Pitchers, advice?

the black absorbs the full spectrum of light makin[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!