FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Venusdogtrap
Does anyone have knowledge on growing Drosera Intermedia- Temperate in Zone 4? I've done some looking around but nailing down zones for it seems a bit difficult. I did see some of the places it's native should be good enough (3/4), but wonder if seed source will matter a lot at the cold edge of it's range.

I could certainly give it a helping hand by giving it a thick snow cover or otherwise but wondering if I'd need to.
By MikeB
Venusdogtrap wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:55 amI did see some of the places it's native should be good enough (3/4), but wonder if seed source will matter a lot at the cold edge of it's range.
I would say "yes" about the seed source. I don't think that Drosera intermedia that are native to zone 9 would do well in zone 4. The zone 9 plants (and their ancestors) have never experienced that level of cold during the winter.
By Nepenthes0260
I think it depends on the specific intermedia strain. If you can find one that has evolved to colder environments (like the NY plants Panman saw) they'd do fine, but I doubt the most common forms in cultivation from the Southeast would survive those temperatures.
By Venusdogtrap
Specifically, the seed source for me at the moment is wherever it came from the Seed Bank donor. I'll probably try some outside for the winter and try some with a more moderate dormancy.

I'll see in about 10 months if they make it
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!