FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By That one plant boi
Hello guys!

As the title says, I'm wondering if there's something I can feed my sarracenia to get them growing a bit faster. They're kinda off to a slow start after being set back a bunch last year due to a thrips infestation, so I just want to give them a boost.
Pretty sure osmocote pellets would be a bad idea, right? What about maxsea?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By optique
maxsea works just keep a eye on pitchers getting heavy and falling over. I also had great results with "tetra bettamin" pellets made into paste, its basically freshwater shrimp meal.
By ChefDean
I'm feeding mine Maxsea. Smaller ones get foliar feeding spray, medium ones get up to 1 ml injected into the pitcher, big ones get 2 or 3 ml in the pitcher. I only do one pitcher per plant.
Others may do stronger, but I mix 1/4 tsp into a gallon of water.
By That one plant boi
ChefDean wrote:I'm feeding mine Maxsea. Smaller ones get foliar feeding spray, medium ones get up to 1 ml injected into the pitcher, big ones get 2 or 3 ml in the pitcher. I only do one pitcher per plant.
Others may do stronger, but I mix 1/4 tsp into a gallon of water.
Awesome!
Have you noticed any results from the feedings?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By ChefDean
Compared to last year, a big difference. Granted they're more mature now, but some plants have larger pitchers now than they had all last year.
I'm probably going a more conservative route than others, but I'm fairly new to fertilizing carnivorous plants. I don't want to burn them out.
By Matt
Any sort of fertilizer that's high in nitrogen works well for Sarracenia. I use a high nitrogen fertilizer (Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro) coupled with a kelp supplement (Supreme Growers Kelp Blast), both at 1tsp/gallon, to get all the micronutrients too. Works well both via the roots and in the pitchers. I've taken Sarracenia seedlings from germination to 10-inch pitchers in a matter of 4 months or so solely by soil fertilizing them.
By Supercazzola
I’d caution you to be careful with fertilizer and with newly divided sarracenia. If there is a pathogen, the fertilizer can accelerate it and cause you to lose the plant.

Give a read here: https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/ ... RhizomeRot
Matt liked this
By Matt
Supercazzola wrote:I’d caution you to be careful with fertilizer and with newly divided sarracenia. If there is a pathogen, the fertilizer can accelerate it and cause you to lose the plant.
I've read that as well, but I've not had that experience. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I fertilize all my Sarracenia as soon as I receive them in the mail and many of those have been divided just before they're shipped to me. I also fertilize those in my own collection as I divide and repot them. I didn't lose any last year outside of one sickly plant I got from California Carnivores and I don't think I actually fertilized that one!
By optique
I did my 1st round of the year of maxsea today. I also ordered another Nepenthes even after my last one was going to be my last one =(

Nepenthes ×[(lowii × veitchii) × boschiana] × ventricosa "red" what a hybrid
By CPhunter101
When I get newly divided rhizomes, I usually leave them alone for a month before feeding them with Maxsea.
Once the next month arrives, I spray tons of 1/4 strength Maxsea onto/into the pitchers.
Throughout the month, I place 2-3 pill bugs into the pitchers.
My sarrs somehow survive all this feeding and grow like crazy.
Supercazzola liked this

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!