FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By owlfeathers
I was at Lowe's today to get some organic potting soil (for home-grown cat grass!), so obviously I took a look at the death cubes...

And to my astonishment and delight, there were some flytraps that looked like Dentes, and they were less than $6. :mrgreen: So of course I got one!

This afternoon, I repotted it and another death cube rescue from a few weeks ago. I hope they'll be happier now :P
Attachments:
IMG_20210514_151536.jpg
IMG_20210514_151536.jpg (5.17 MiB) Viewed 3706 times
IMG_20210514_162428.jpg
IMG_20210514_162428.jpg (5.84 MiB) Viewed 3706 times
MikeB liked this
By Supercazzola
I think you may find a typical that looks like traits a dente has, but my understanding is that unless you have documentation that it is a clone of dente, you just have a typical. Mutations and recessive traits come out sometimes. Doesn’t mean it’s the registered cultivar though… make sense?
By ChefDean
^^^^What he said.
I also got one like that, as well as a deep red one. However, both are officially typicals unless I can identify a stable trait in them that sets them apart from others. If I do. Then I might have a new cultivar on my hands. But that's a discussion for a different day.
Supercazzola liked this
By owlfeathers
Supercazzola wrote:I think you may find a typical that looks like traits a dente has, but my understanding is that unless you have documentation that it is a clone of dente, you just have a typical. Mutations and recessive traits come out sometimes. Doesn’t mean it’s the registered cultivar though… make sense?
Ah, I see. But it's still an adorable little guy! The death cube plants do look great when they're new.
MaxVft liked this
By Matt
It's unfortunate that it didn't come with a label. In all likelihood, that is a Dentate Traps flytrap that was propagated by AG3. They also do Akai Ryu, which is probably the red variety that @ChefDean picked up. But without labels, it's impossible to know for sure unless someone wants to pay for a genetic test :lol:
owlfeathers liked this
By michijake
Very cool! I found some similar ones recently from that same brand, so I wonder if they came from the same batch. Yours are in much better condition than mine though!
owlfeathers liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!