FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By owlfeathers
I was at Lowe's today to get some organic potting soil (for home-grown cat grass!), so obviously I took a look at the death cubes...

And to my astonishment and delight, there were some flytraps that looked like Dentes, and they were less than $6. :mrgreen: So of course I got one!

This afternoon, I repotted it and another death cube rescue from a few weeks ago. I hope they'll be happier now :P
Attachments:
IMG_20210514_151536.jpg
IMG_20210514_151536.jpg (5.17 MiB) Viewed 3694 times
IMG_20210514_162428.jpg
IMG_20210514_162428.jpg (5.84 MiB) Viewed 3694 times
MikeB liked this
By Supercazzola
I think you may find a typical that looks like traits a dente has, but my understanding is that unless you have documentation that it is a clone of dente, you just have a typical. Mutations and recessive traits come out sometimes. Doesn’t mean it’s the registered cultivar though… make sense?
By ChefDean
^^^^What he said.
I also got one like that, as well as a deep red one. However, both are officially typicals unless I can identify a stable trait in them that sets them apart from others. If I do. Then I might have a new cultivar on my hands. But that's a discussion for a different day.
Supercazzola liked this
By owlfeathers
Supercazzola wrote:I think you may find a typical that looks like traits a dente has, but my understanding is that unless you have documentation that it is a clone of dente, you just have a typical. Mutations and recessive traits come out sometimes. Doesn’t mean it’s the registered cultivar though… make sense?
Ah, I see. But it's still an adorable little guy! The death cube plants do look great when they're new.
MaxVft liked this
By Matt
It's unfortunate that it didn't come with a label. In all likelihood, that is a Dentate Traps flytrap that was propagated by AG3. They also do Akai Ryu, which is probably the red variety that @ChefDean picked up. But without labels, it's impossible to know for sure unless someone wants to pay for a genetic test :lol:
owlfeathers liked this
By michijake
Very cool! I found some similar ones recently from that same brand, so I wonder if they came from the same batch. Yours are in much better condition than mine though!
owlfeathers liked this
Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!