FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Vanval1230
Hey ya'll.
So I had an accidental fruit fly infestation in my room from some fruit fly cultures I keep for my dart frogs, I got so annoyed of them constantly landing on my food. So I grabed all the established adelae giants I could find and placed them in my room and this was the outcome.
20210416_113256.jpg
20210416_113256.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 1727 times
Organic fruit fly pest control at its finest. There are barely any flies left! Unfortunately I just transplanted my largest adelae about a week ago into a 5" hydroponic pot and it has no dew, but I'm confident that if it was well established, it would devour the remaining fruit flies :)
What happens when Drosera catches this much food in one sitting? I'm guessing they will just flower and/or grow even more profusely than they already do :lol:
Matt, ChefDean, Tarzanus and 2 others liked this
By Tarzanus
I've had similar incident. Fungus gnat infected soil. Droseras destroyed all of them in less than 14 weeks and if I say there were many, it's an understatement. Some leaves were black and completely covered! Especially effective were D. binata and D. capensis. D. spatulata a bit less, but they were not starving either. :mrgreen:
Vanval1230 liked this
By Vanval1230
Interesting! Do you have pics? :)
What happened to your drosera leaves? Did they die back at all? Did the plants grow quicker? I haven't had a fungus gnat infestation yet but a few locals I've sold these adelae to have raved about how the plant has diminished their infestations. I wasn't able to keep the plants in my room longer since its so dark in there and they started losing their dew :(
Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!