FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By neplux
I'm using a 30watt (theoretical 150watt output) LED with a strong humidifier in a 10 gallon tank. Three of my plants (Gaya, Ventricosa, and Zakriana x Tiveyi) have turned bright red, including the smallest baby plants. I've done hours of research and gotten a lot of mixed opinions.

A lot of people say deep red blush in the leaves is healthy and shows the plant is getting ample light. Others have said it's sunburn and the light should be moved farther away. One extra variable is that I put them under this light immediately after receiving them, so they may be shocked and acclimating right now..

The light used to be 1 foot lower but I moved it up, I'm hoping the next set of leaves will accommodate for the strong light.

What's your opinion?
Attachments:
image4.jpeg
image4.jpeg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (101.71 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
image8.jpeg
image8.jpeg (48.46 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
image6.jpeg
image6.jpeg (116.98 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
By neplux
Most of the close up shots are from the largest one, I included a full shot of him for reference. the small leaf picture is a baby about 1 to 1.5 inches across.
Attachments:
image3 (3).jpeg
image3 (3).jpeg (72.12 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
image2 (2).jpeg
image2 (2).jpeg (94.85 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
image1 (2).jpeg
image1 (2).jpeg (102.37 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
image4 (2).jpeg
image4 (2).jpeg (126.03 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
image0 (4).jpeg
image0 (4).jpeg (79.69 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
By Supercazzola
Is that humidifier on all the time? It seems like it would keep the media way too wet, but I am not an expert.
The leaves look ok to me, but I’ll let others weigh in. The times mine got sunburn, it was more “dots” of darker color than the surrounding leaf area. But again, I will let other experts weigh in.
By 5304457
If anything that amount of light is probably unnecessary for nepenthes, but in regards to the red leafs my understanding is that a) different species have different light tolerances, so some might like that much light while others would not and b) it's up to personal preference on whether you want red leaves or not. I personally would probably would reduce the amount of light just to be cautious.
By optique
I don't think that is a burn, cant be 100%. I am going to guess the Gaya is the dark one and that's just the maxima in it coloring up to strong light.

pure maxima in a east facing window

why i was taking that photo i noticed this on my ventricosa in the same window
Supercazzola liked this
By Frothy_Milk
I’m agreeing with [mention]Supercazzola [/mention] may not be sunburn but a moisture issue. My st Gaya that sits outside has the dotted burns. When I got my first nep a few years ago, I watered the crap out of the thing and it started to rot. It made the leaves go dark. I am no expert just what I think. Happy growin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Adrien
It’s definitely too much for a couple of the plants there. A slight red blush is good but when the whole leaf turns red and it’s a green leafed plant the lighting is too strong. It will affect the plant in the long run.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!