FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Durrendal
Hi.

I've recently come in possession of some D. Serpens (pink) seeds and was wondering how long and how do I geminate them?

Currently, I've done:

1. Put them on a mix of peat-silica sand and put them inside under LED Lights in a DIY shoebox turned germination box thing. I've put a plastic wrap on it to increase humidity. Light is in for 12-14 hrs. Water tray. 4 days have passed.

2. Exact same arrangement, except outside in sun without wrap. Direct light for about 1-2 hrs a day, rest bright filtered light. 3 days have passed.

No germination yet.

At what point do I start to panic?
By oval
You've still got a few weeks to go. Don't panic yet! It sometimes takes a few months for drosera to germinate. Experimentation like you're doing is good.
Durrendal liked this
By ChefDean
You need to have a lot more patience than 3 to 4 days. Carnivorous plant seeds aren't like the beans we all grew in Elementary school that sprouted almost overnight.
Even very fresh weeds like Capes take about 10 days, but serpens are different. Look for more like 2 to 4 weeks before you see germination, and that is at around 80°F. If they're at a lower temp, it could take longer.
Take up oil painting, knit a sweater, master Tai Chi, and build a log cabin by hand without power tools, then check on the seeds. There might be something by then.
OK, that was a bit of an exaggeration, but make sure the temps are up and wait longer than 4 days.
You got this.
Panman, Durrendal, Supercazzola and 1 others liked this
By Durrendal
My only previous successful germination is from my own D. Spatulata which basically, I just shook out of the flower stalk on a food container full of sphagnum and it sprouted in 3 days, so I was going off on that. Xd

80F? Bro, I'm baking at 30C-40C each day in my tropical country. I think temps won't be an issue.

And thanks! I'll wait patiently!
ChefDean liked this
By Durrendal
oval wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:21 pm You've still got a few weeks to go. Don't panic yet! It sometimes takes a few months for drosera to germinate. Experimentation like you're doing is good.
Alright! Onwards then!
By Durrendal
ChefDean wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:37 pm You need to have a lot more patience than 3 to 4 days. Carnivorous plant seeds aren't like the beans we all grew in Elementary school that sprouted almost overnight.
Even very fresh weeds like Capes take about 10 days, but serpens are different. Look for more like 2 to 4 weeks before you see germination, and that is at around 80°F. If they're at a lower temp, it could take longer.
Take up oil painting, knit a sweater, master Tai Chi, and build a log cabin by hand without power tools, then check on the seeds. There might be something by then.
OK, that was a bit of an exaggeration, but make sure the temps are up and wait longer than 4 days.
You got this.
My only previous successful germination is from my own D. Spatulata which basically, I just shook out of the flower stalk on a food container full of sphagnum and it sprouted in 3 days, so I was going off on that. Xd

80F? Bro, I'm baking at 30C-40C each day in my tropical country. I think temps won't be an issue.

And thanks! I'll wait patiently!
By Shadowtski
I've just test germinated some Drosera finlaysoniana seeds.
Like serpens, they're in the D. indica complex.
My seeds germinated in about 2 - 3 weeks using the water filled test tube method.
The 2020 seeds germinated first, the 2018 seeds a few days later, and the 2016 seeds sprouted about a week later.

Germinating seeds the seeds in a pot should take 4 - 6 weeks.
Serpens is a tropical so it's happier with warmer conditions.
Check out Prof Hartmeyer's YouTube vids on the Arachnopus Sundews.
They're mostly in German but with English subtitles.
By Durrendal
Shadowtski wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:41 pm I've just test germinated some Drosera finlaysoniana seeds.
Like serpens, they're in the D. indica complex.
My seeds germinated in about 2 - 3 weeks using the water filled test tube method.
The 2020 seeds germinated first, the 2018 seeds a few days later, and the 2016 seeds sprouted about a week later.

Germinating seeds the seeds in a pot should take 4 - 6 weeks.
Serpens is a tropical so it's happier with warmer conditions.
Check out Prof Hartmeyer's YouTube vids on the Arachnopus Sundews.
They're mostly in German but with English subtitles.
The seller assured me the seeds were harvested in February 2021 so I'm hoping for a good result.

I'll check out the professor's videos.

I'm currently trying to experiment with water propagation with a spatulata and binata leaf. Got any tips?
By Shadowtski
Durrendal wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:05 pm I'm currently trying to experiment with water propagation with a spatulata and binata leaf. Got any tips?
I posted several threads on the subject.
Search the forum for "water germination experiment".
Long story short: Sterilized glass test tube 50% full of distilled water. Add seeds, shake daily, keep in warm, well lit area. Works best with tropical and subtropical Drosera.
YMMV :)
Good luck,
Mike
By Durrendal
Shadowtski wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:22 pm
Durrendal wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:05 pm I'm currently trying to experiment with water propagation with a spatulata and binata leaf. Got any tips?
I posted several threads on the subject.
Search the forum for "water germination experiment".
Long story short: Sterilized glass test tube 50% full of distilled water. Add seeds, shake daily, keep in warm, well lit area. Works best with tropical and subtropical Drosera.
YMMV :)
Good luck,
Mike
I meant to say water propagation or leaf propagation in water. Seed in water sounds too daunting at this stage. Xd
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!