FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By DeadlyCarnivore
Hello, I am new to growing tuberous drosera and I have only experienced one dormancy period so far with them, and I dont really know what to do in the situation I am currently in.

I have a pot D. Squamosa x Collina and what I assume is happening is one of them is going into dormancy. The other Squamosa x Collina drosera in the same pot, are completely fine. Is that normal? Its turning yellow and brown like it did when it went into dormancy last year, but it is still very cold here and I havent really changed the photoperiod or anything that would trigger dormancy. The other one is still very dewy and is doing just fine. If it is going into an early dormancy, what should I do? One last thing I should mention, I dont know if it will change anything, but the two plants in the picture (ignore the pygmy sundew) came from the same tuber. The smaller one was the 1st one, the 2nd one is the newer one that popped up after I fed the first one.

I attached a picture below, excuse the burned leaves on it, not exactly sure what happened, I fed it, it lost all of its dew after that, and then it started to burn. It hadnt gotten any worse than that until I noticed it turn brown today. What do I do?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
By Nepenthes0260
Firstly, that is a beautiful plant! Great growing!

Secondly, that is completely normal with the second side rosette. At this time some of the tuberous dews that came up earlier in the year are beginning to look ratty. If that rosette came up slightly before the main one that would make sense. It looks perfectly normal to me though, I would not worry. My pure squamosa is starting to look ratty and less dewy too.
By DeadlyCarnivore
Nepenthes0260 wrote:Firstly, that is a beautiful plant! Great growing!

Secondly, that is completely normal with the second side rosette. At this time some of the tuberous dews that came up earlier in the year are beginning to look ratty. If that rosette came up slightly before the main one that would make sense. It looks perfectly normal to me though, I would not worry. My pure squamosa is starting to look ratty and less dewy too.
Thank you! And Phew, I was getting a little bit worried. So nothing to worry about, not early dormancy with the browning leaves?

Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Nepenthes0260
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:
Nepenthes0260 wrote:Firstly, that is a beautiful plant! Great growing!

Thank you! And Phew, I was getting a little bit worried. So nothing to worry about, not early dormancy with the browning leaves?

Nope! Definitely nothing to worry about. It does seem scary when, nearing the end of winter, tuberous dews lose all their dew and start to go dormant. But it's perfectly normal.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!