FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By tracieh
I checked all my flytraps a few weeks ago. They were in the cold basement but lack of light and airflow made them start to mold so I cleaned them up and moved them outside. I checked on them tonight. Root rot. Every single plant. Slimy. Smelly. Yellowish rhizomes.

:cry: :cry: :cry: so freaking sad. Like 8 plants. Including my B-52s. My very first carnivorous plants. 2 years I had them. I lost 1 plant to dormancy last year and now all vfts this year?! Ugh. Sorry for my rant. Thank you for letting me vent.

I cleaned them up and tried finding some white left inside. There's none.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk
By MikeB
I'm sorry about your loss. Did you have a lot of sub-zero temperatures after the plants were outside? Were they constantly sitting in water?
By Panman
elaineo wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:36 pm Sorry for your loss :( Would you like a new one? I know it's not the same, but I can mail you one of my B52s that is just waking up from dormancy.
Artie101 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:54 pm Got few mixed seedlings could post for you.
Arthur
This is what I love about this forum! I don't have any cultivars that are ready to go anywhere but I have some typicals that I could send you.
Benny, Supercazzola, VFTNoob and 3 others liked this
By tracieh
You guy are the best :D I was honestly just looking to vent to people who would understand how devestating this was to me. I have some seed grown babies I planted in the fall who are coming along nicely so am going to focus on them- plus all my other plants. Thank you so much for offering to help me build back up though! This forum is filled with some amazing people :D :D :D
Panman, elaineo, VFTNoob and 1 others liked this
By corpsvette
Hate to hear but glad you are looking to the future.

I have been building my forest of VFT over the last 7 years acquiring VFT from here, Amazon, Lowe's etc. Originally planted in individual cups. I am in NC so they stayed outside except on nights when it dipped below 32 degrees or frost was expected. Last summer I planted them sparsely in a large tomato planter my wife gave me. By the end of the summer every square inch was covered by VFT's. Wished I had a picture to post. Everyone in my neighborhood would comment on them. Anyway, one night I was not home and a frost hit. Seemed to have killed most of my traps. I still have some green and curious to see how many of my plants will recover come this spring. I say all that to say, I know how you feel. Some of my plants were 7 years old. I will be sad if they don't spring back in a few months. I even planted a few flower stocks that sprouted new fledgling VFT's.
By sanguinearocks101
corpsvette wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:36 pm I have been building my forest of VFT over the last 7 years acquiring VFT from here, Amazon, Lowe's etc. Originally planted in individual cups. I am in NC so they stayed outside except on nights when it dipped below 32 degrees or frost was expected. Last summer I planted them sparsely in a large tomato planter my wife gave me. By the end of the summer every square inch was covered by VFT's.
That’s my hope to get one day, a lush pot full of plants that my few friends will see and say “Welp he wasn’t totally crazy to be in love with these.”
Artie101 liked this
By tracieh
Just wanted to update this and pat myself on the back for a moment because I did not loose any plants to dormancy this year :D :D :D
Ewreck, Lain, MikeB and 2 others liked this
By Rachael
I'm sorry. I lost a few this winter too but fortunately not all of them.

Goodness, that's quite a difference! I'm pretty […]

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in […]

Pest control question

Hey all. My Sarrs got hit with thrips this Spring […]

I'd like to give her some of these when they're […]

baby sundew found in mu bog pot

I just found these in my bog pot I didn't let any […]

doing research before buying a ping

I'm thinking of buying a p. gigantea but I don't k[…]

Help! My VFT is dying

So is morning sun better than afternoon sun? I hav[…]

HMD

Happy mother's day!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!