FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By michaelc
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.85 MiB) Viewed 1488 times
I have a young Venus fly trap (don’t know what kind, I am very inexperienced) and I read online to keep it well watered. The humidity in my room is very low (usually between 30 and 40 percent), so I’ve been making sure to keep it well watered. I keep it in a southwest facing window and put it under a grow light at night, so although it doesn’t get very much direct sunlight, it gets a lot of less strong light. What am I doing wrong and how can I better support my plant?

Thanks,

Mike
By ChefDean
It actually doesn't look that bad. However, they're right in the middle of their dormancy right now (assuming you're in the Northern Hemisphere), so they do sometimes get a little sad looking. During dormancy, light isn't too much of an issue, and you only need to keep it damp.

Moving forward, is that pot glazed on the inside? Unglazed pottery can leach minerals into the media, harming the plant over time. What water are you using? RO, distilled, rain, or tap water with a TDS under 50ppm is highly recommended.

VFT's are outdoor plants. Once it wakes up it's going to want to get direct sunlight, a sunny windowsill doesn't cut it with these guys.

Now, if you're in the Southern Hemisphere, the same care still applies, but you'll want to get it outside in some shade for a couple of weeks. Slowly acclimate it to more sun until it's getting a out 6 hours of good, direct sun.
By MikeB
michaelc wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:52 amThe humidity in my room is very low (usually between 30 and 40 percent), so I’ve been making sure to keep it well watered.
FYI: 30-40% humidity is fine for a flytrap.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!