FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Scadro
Hi all,
I have this question about my Drosera Capensis because i cannot find the answer on Google.
I have a household with a lot of plants, but because of this we also have a lot of fungus gnat.
Coincidentally this is the favorite snack of my sundew. Hundreds of fungus gnat have died because of this sundew. But because the sundew ate more incects then he could chew, he grew about 10 flower stalks at the same time. With the last flowering stalk i noticed that on the end of the flower itself , it also grew a little trap of sundew drops and even caught a little bug. He did not grew this on the other 9 stalks. Does anyone has more information about this? Is it possible to cut this piece to grow a new plant?

I included some pictures for clarification, but i can also sent more if needed
Attachments:
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-02 at 14.58.21.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-02 at 14.58.21.jpeg (227.57 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-02 at 14.58.21 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-02 at 14.58.21 (1).jpeg (85.32 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
By ChefDean
It's called false vivipary, and it not too uncommon, but definitely not common, it just sometimes happens. You can definitely snip it and plant it, it will grow into a new plant. It looks like there are more than one, but they're small enough that I wouldn't try to separate them.

Here's another example of false vivipary, but in a flytrap. dc-xl-false-vivapary-t48823.html

His was a very robust occurrence, and he was able to separate and root a ton of new plants. He and his wife thinks that it happened in reaction to a lawn disease prevention/killer supplement, but everyone else believes he's been sacrificing virgins to a volcano in order to get this boon.
Panman, MikeB, Vanval1230 liked this
Watering my Venus Flytrap

I need to water them with tap water just once. I a[…]

Red meat viability claims

I'm not taking it seriously until they start feedi[…]

Andy, go to the Photone support page and scroll al[…]

Water Quality

So I tested my water using a aquarium strips and w[…]

I wonder if you could mix a small amount of the […]

I would only use a water trey for peat/perlite. LF[…]

Flytrap Growth

Nice pic!

Drosera seeds in water?

I did not think drosera needed to be water stratif[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!