FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post any care guides or tutorials here.

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
A cold front rolled through my area on Christmas eve. Yesterday, it was unusually warm (about 64 F / 17 C) and rainy. Behind the front, it was cold, with snow flurries on the back end of the rain. Today, the temperature stuggled to reach 37 F (3 C), and tonight it's dropping down to 20 F (-7 C). That is way below normal for here. Now that my back patio is "carpeted" in plants
Back patio - before.jpg
Back patio - before.jpg (909.09 KiB) Viewed 915 times
it's a nuisance to pick up everything and move it into the garage. A few weeks ago, I decided to find a way to leave them in place, and I hit on the idea of making a cold frame (like a greenhouse, but designed to keep the temperature a little bit less cold instead of really warm). I went to Home Depot and bought some 3/4-inch (19 mm) PVC pipes, connectors, and plastic sheeting. I went hunting online and bought a Palma Bio Green heater and thermostat.

This afternoon, I volunteered my younger son to help me assemble everything. It wasn't difficult to do, but the wind made it feel like 26 F (-3 C) while we were working.
Back patio - after.jpg
Back patio - after.jpg (437.53 KiB) Viewed 915 times
I set the thermostat at 40 F (5 C). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this works as expected. At 4 o'clock in the afternoon, the temperature has already dropped to freezing, and it's supposed to stay that way until around 11 AM tomorrow. In 6 days, I'll be back at 64 F (17 C) again.... I plan to put up the cold frame only on those few days that really need it, then disassemble it and stash it in the garage.
Panman, Apollyon, Matt liked this
By optique
as long as you don't stay in the 20's for day time hours also you will be just fine.

my weather, i have no fear
By MikeB
The temperatures aren't that different here. I'm taking the cold frame down on Sunday. As long as the temperature is 28 F or higher, my plants will survive without any issues.

They're still youngsters (FYI - you have 4 to 6 gr[…]

VFT Rescue story

A couple of days later when the water was all ev[…]

So this purple ambush has a amazing rhizome, at […]

Requesting the above seed. Thank you for the work […]

Successful pollination?

Does that mean I can harvest the swelling botto[…]

Transaction with wanderingkev

He wanted to clear out some space from a earlier p[…]

I received the seeds and maxsea, thanks Dean!

Order received. Your order number is 0552. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!