FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Dini
Ive had my pitcher plant for about a month now and since then I've been doing research and one particular website said to let it sit on water so it wouldn't get dry like other venus fly traps outdoors? is this correct?
By That one plant boi
Dini wrote:Ive had my pitcher plant for about a month now and since then I've been doing research and one particular website said to let it sit on water so it wouldn't get dry like other venus fly traps outdoors? is this correct?
Most nepenthes shouldn't be sitting in water indefinitely, except for a few lowlanders such as rafflesiana and bicalcarata. Watering it from the top and letting the water drain out through the bottom of the pot does just fine for these plants.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By Nepenthes0260
Most neps don't like to be sitting in water. Like TOPB said there are a few exceptions, such as lowland species like some mirabilis, rafflesiana, bical, and some amps. Keep it moist, never letting fully dry, but don't keep it soaking like a sarr or capensis.
By hungry carnivores
Adding on to nep0260 you can keep the sphag for those in the water. I fill the bottom inch of my pots with large grain perlite and orchid bark so they are constantly sitting in water about a cm high. Just make sure the sphag is above the water if you do this.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!