FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Eventerminator
Hello!,

I've put my Sarracenia Purpurea in 6+ direct sunlight for over a week now and I noticed that it's growth from before has doubled in size. How long does it typically take for Sarracenia's to complete their pitchers?
New growth looks really good
New growth looks really good
IMG_0327.JPG (2.7 MiB) Viewed 2926 times
Thank you!
By murrkywaters
They, like most carnivorous plants grow fairly slowly. They do benefit from light foliar feeds. It looms like 1) what you have looks like S. rosea (hard to be certain without a flower) 2) looks like it is producing phyllodia, which some sarracenia do right before winter dormancy.
If you're in the global north they should be going dormant. If not the phyllodia could be a sign of poor lighting conditions. Is the plant indoors? The window could be filtering out some wavelengths the plant is looking for.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By Eventerminator
murrkywaters wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:00 pm They, like most carnivorous plants grow fairly slowly. They do benefit from light foliar feeds. It looms like 1) what you have looks like S. rosea (hard to be certain without a flower) 2) looks like it is producing phyllodia, which some sarracenia do right before winter dormancy.
If you're in the global north they should be going dormant. If not the phyllodia could be a sign of poor lighting conditions. Is the plant indoors? The window could be filtering out some wavelengths the plant is looking for.

The label says that it's a Sarracenia Spp so I'm guessing it's a Sarracenia Purpurea but I'm not sure. I got it from the store pretty light starved before, so that's why it has phyllodia. I'm in Australia and it's pretty much summer here already so my plant is just entering the growing season. Also I grow it outside since we don't have a good spot in the house.
By murrkywaters
I have a S. 'Fat Chance' which is a rosea cultivar that looks pretty similar. As far as I know the flower is the only way of getting a positive ID. Good luck

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , Thank you :)

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!