FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
I'd like to thank MikeB for his recent donation of numerous, and I do mean numerous, S. Flava seeds.
Y'all, he donated a metric crap-ton of Flava seeds, both var Ornata and Rubricorpora! It made my heart flutter for a bit! Honest!
There's enough that I'm not going to put a restriction on them, they're immediately available to all eligible members. And this is the best time because y'all can sow them outside and let Mother Nature stratify them for you.
Thank you MikeB, your generosity is greatly appreciated.
Donations make the seed bank what it is. They're the gravy for the biscuit son!
Shadowtski, Matt liked this
By MikeB
I hope that lots of people get a chance to enjoy them! I had so many seeds this year that I didn't know what to do with them all. A big part of that is due to the fantastic Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpora that I bought from Mike Wang a few years ago. I divided it into 3 large clumps, and they produced 5 flowers with enormous seed pods. These plants will make a great addition to your Sarracenia collection.
ChefDean, Apollyon, Matt and 1 others liked this
By MikeB
Here is a picture of the parent plants (on the right) from two years after I got them:
My Sarracenia flava plants.jpg
My Sarracenia flava plants.jpg (862.37 KiB) Viewed 4400 times
Sadly, I lost the ornata and towering cuprea plants due to a freak cold snap (200 continuous hours of temperatures below freezing). I almost lost the rubricorpora, but 3 growth points survived the cold. I'm working on replacing the ornatas, bought a seedling plug from plants at the Outlaw site in Florida:
Outlaw flavas.jpg
Outlaw flavas.jpg (70.48 KiB) Viewed 4400 times
I have high hopes for these little guys next year.
By Panman
What size pots do you have those in? I am looking to pot my mother plant in something bigger this year and I would like something that they could stay in for a couple of years.
By MikeB
I buy these planters in the garden centers at Home Depot and Lowe's Home Improvement. They're about 12 inches diameter x 10 inches tall (35 cm x 25 cm). I drill 4 good-sized drain holes in the bottom, put a blob of sphagnum moss over each hole to prevent the soil from washing out, and fill them up. Each planter sits in a 2-inch (5 cm) deep saucer. I water the plants from the top to ensure that they stay damp, and let it drain through until it fills the saucer.

I tried doing planters without drain holes (much easier to keep wet), but the root systems on those Sarracenias weren't as robust as in the pots with drainage. The bottom half of the planters became a very anaerobic environment, and the roots didn't like it. When I repotted the plants, the soil in the bottom half smelled "skunky". With drainage, oxygen can reach the lower pot, and the growing environment is much better for the plants.
By Matt
Great looking flavas! Which rubricorpa clone is that? I picked up a bunch from Mike Wang this summer too and am hoping I got that one. By the time I got them, flavas were well past their peak so I'll need to wait until next year to see any pitchers and probably a couple of years until they get settled in and look really good.
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
Same here. I got a bunch of flava from MW amongst my others. These pics are inspiring though. I hope to see mine that size in a few years. Flavas are the best looking imo. I think I might need to get a red one.
By MikeB
Matt wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:02 pmGreat looking flavas! Which rubricorpa clone is that?
It's "S. flava rubricorpora, Burgundy X Liberty Co, FL". Mike had a ton of them back in 2014, so he sent me a freebie with one of my orders. It started off as a 6-inch-tall seedling and grew into that monster in just 3 years.
ChefDean liked this
By Matt
MikeB wrote:It's "S. flava rubricorpora, Burgundy X Liberty Co, FL". Mike had a ton of them back in 2014, so he sent me a freebie with one of my orders. It started off as a 6-inch-tall seedling and grew into that monster in just 3 years.
Whoa, nice! I don't think I have that clone so if you get a piece of it to spare, I'd love to get it from you :D
By MikeB
Matt wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:15 am
MikeB wrote:It's "S. flava rubricorpora, Burgundy X Liberty Co, FL". Mike had a ton of them back in 2014, so he sent me a freebie with one of my orders. It started off as a 6-inch-tall seedling and grew into that monster in just 3 years.
Whoa, nice! I don't think I have that clone so if you get a piece of it to spare, I'd love to get it from you :D
This cross is no longer on his "Sarracenia for sale" list, don't know why. The crazy-freeze survivors are doing nicely. I'll see if I can separate a growth point in late winter.

FYI - 90% of the rubricorpora seeds that I sent to ChefDean are self-pollinations from these plants (the rest are from a beautiful plant that I got off eBay, no location data for that one). I sowed a bunch of the seeds 2 years ago. This spring, most of the seedlings put on a massive burst in growth. 2 of them hit 8-10 inches tall!
By Matt
MikeB wrote:This cross is no longer on his "Sarracenia for sale" list, don't know why. The crazy-freeze survivors are doing nicely. I'll see if I can separate a growth point in late winter.
Awesome, thanks so much!
MikeB wrote:FYI - 90% of the rubricorpora seeds that I sent to ChefDean are self-pollinations from these plants (the rest are from a beautiful plant that I got off eBay, no location data for that one). I sowed a bunch of the seeds 2 years ago. This spring, most of the seedlings put on a massive burst in growth. 2 of them hit 8-10 inches tall!
That's awesome! I'll have to get some seeds from Chef to try out. How did the seeds you sowed 2 years ago turn out in terms of coloration? I've heard that red flavas can be highly variable in terms of their offspring. Are most red or is a pretty wide range of coloration you're seeing?
By MikeB
Matt wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:36 pmHow did the seeds you sowed 2 years ago turn out in terms of coloration? I've heard that red flavas can be highly variable in terms of their offspring. Are most red or is a pretty wide range of coloration you're seeing?
About 1/3 are spitting images of their parents, but the rest lean toward the atropurpurea look. To encourage the seedlings to grow faster, I "juiced" the plants: every other week, I filled 2 pitchers per plant with MaxSea diluted to 1/4 strength. Flavas don't like having water in their pitchers, so when the plants drained it away, they absorbed the fertilizer in the process. This really got them going.
By sanguinearocks101
MikeB wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:08 am Sadly, I lost the ornata and towering cuprea plants due to a freak cold snap (200 continuous hours of temperatures below freezing).
Were you away? I would run outside any day in that weather to rescue plants that good looking :D
Drosera seeds in water?

Don't know about the peroxide, either. I have trie[…]

If you keep your plants outside, they will feed th[…]

You might also run into problems with the plant […]

Question about flytraps

Last question (probably) when i repot, wash off th[…]

Kinetin vs BAP ?

Can Kinetin be an adequate substitution for BA[…]

Do Long Summer Days Affect CPs?

You don't need to worry about the hours of sunlig[…]

Honestly, I don't know. The leaves look like they […]

I must say, I'm especially curious about how we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!