FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Ddean702
Hello!

I am a Vegas resident born and raised and I am hoping to get involved in the joys of growing carnivorous plants! I realize this may be quite the journey in the extremes of Las Vegas' weather but I'm always up for a challenge!

Thank you for having me and I look forward to learning all I can and sharing my experiences with all of you!

Hakuna matata
Apollyon liked this
By optimus prime
Welcome to the forum. I feel your pain about the weather I’m in Texas! If you are looking for some good plants to grow in your environment I would recommend Sarracenia or cobra lilies. Cobra lilies are actually native to California which is not to far from you. Sarracenias are found all over America. You could also grow some Venus fly traps and some drosera.
By optimus prime
Same I grow mine outdoors but I have to refill the saucers every day. I live in Boerne which is next to San antonio
By Ddean702
Thanks guys! I appreciate the welcoming. I recently (shortly before joining the forum) was gifted a not so great looking VFT that came from one of those little death tubes at a Lowe's home improvement I believe. It had very little green to be seen so I carefully trimmed back its brown traps and got it acclimated to a SSE facing window sill. After a full 24 hrs I "rinsed" the sphagnum moss it was in with distilled water and kept it in a breathable enclosure with a clean aquarium bubbling stone set to a timer of 20 min on 120 min off to bring the humidity up around the plant and to aerate the water a bit. 4 days ago I got some carnivorous plant soil (ground sphagnum, perlite, and sand) and I transfered it to a larger cup with plenty of holes in the bottom/rim. Overall after about 25 days or so from near death, I'm quite proud of my "green thumb!" Not quite sure how to upload photos but I shall attempt it! So far so good I think! It has scarfed down 2 live baby crickets and an earwig! I am officially hooked! :mrgreen:
By ChefDean
Great job on your successful turn around, but there's an issue.
There's already a Dean here, you are just going to have to change your name. ;) :lol:

Oh, and, welcome to the forum.
Panman, Ddean702 liked this
By Apollyon
Hey, congratulations on the rescue! That's always the best feeling when you can give a plant a new lease on life like that. That's awesome man. I can see the merit in putting the trap in one in a desert climate like yours. VFTs don't need "high humidity" like a Nepenthes but they are native to North Carolina which has a climate comparable to my own in the daytime highs and humidity. The real threat would be over saturation in that setup. Had a near death experience growing mine indoors but if your water level is fluctuating you should be alright. A lot of people can grow VFTs indoors, I'm not one them lol.

If you're growing indoors with a terrarium setup, you could easily accomodate plants like pinguicula and drosera into the tank I'm sure. Darlingtonia sounds like an interesting idea. My uncle lives out in LV. You'd want to probably bring them in during the summers but they could probably grow the rest of the year outside when the night temps drop.
Ddean702 liked this
By murrkywaters
Just saw this post, I am also living in vegas. I think indoor growing is the way to go for the summer months. I've lived here for two years and I got into carnivorous plants about a year or so ago. The indoor thing saves on water so the SNWA shouldn't be an issue in the summer months if you go that route.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

By Panman
Welcome to the forum. We can all speak from experience that the Death Cube VFT is the gateway drug into the wild and wacky world of CP. I'm still trying to convince my wife that a large bog would look lovely in the middle of the front lawn. She's not going for it. :roll:
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By Ddean702
Haha! Glad to see other people in Vegas enjoying these incredible plants. Say you've lived here for 2 years? Where did you call home prior to Vegas? I'm actually born and raised here which seams more and more rare these days haha. I've lived in every west coast state and I always find myself back here! Which oddly enough isn't due to the "lifestyle" that comes with being in "sin City" as I don't drink, I've never put a dollar down on a table or into a machine, and I don't live anywhere near the strip or downtown so that's a plus.
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By Ddean702
Panman wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:10 pm Welcome to the forum. We can all speak from experience that the Death Cube VFT is the gateway drug into the wild and wacky world of CP. I'm still trying to convince my wife that a large bog would look lovely in the middle of the front lawn. She's not going for it. :roll:
That's too funny! Mine probably wouldn't go for it either. Plus my HOA would probably freak out as well haha. Hmmm... On second thought we do have a guest bathroom with a bathtub 🙄🤪 seams promising haha.
By murrkywaters

Ddean702 wrote:Haha! Glad to see other people in Vegas enjoying these incredible plants. Say you've lived here for 2 years? Where did you call home prior to Vegas? I'm actually born and raised here which seams more and more rare these days haha. I've lived in every west coast state and I always find myself back here! Which oddly enough isn't due to the "lifestyle" that comes with being in "sin City" as I don't drink, I've never put a dollar down on a table or into a machine, and I don't live anywhere near the strip or downtown so that's a plus.
Before Vegas I was living just outside of St. Louis, but I spent my formative years between Dallas and Chicagoland. I came out here for grad school, but I don't gamble. I usually pass the time by hiking instead.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!