FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Z_Y
This summer I had a really bad spider mite issues so I sprayed down my plants with both Avid and Bayer/BioAdvanced 3 in 1. I dosed the two separately about a week apart, and all the mites seemed to have disappeared.

The Helis, Drosera, Neps, and Cephs all did fine, but my flytraps started to develop some weird traps right after dosing. The traps seem be be heavily arched, with much shorter teeth:
IMG_20201101_224232.jpg
IMG_20201101_224232.jpg (462.47 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
IMG_20201101_224217.jpg
IMG_20201101_224217.jpg (393.34 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
IMG_20201101_224120.jpg
IMG_20201101_224120.jpg (414.53 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
I'm not sure if it was Avid or the BioAdvanced that did this. Anyone else had this experience before?
By ChefDean
It could be a response to the pesticides, but many members have used them for years and not reported this.
It could also be a result of the spider mites causing some damage in very young, developing leaves, and this is what they did after growing.
Or, if it's multiple leaves, it could be a random mutation on a division. The traps look like the cultivar "Archangel" but with longer cilia and no red. I would see if this is a division and separate it out, maybe even try a couple of leaf pullings to see if this is a stable mutation or a hiccup in its growth.
By Z_Y
I think it is environmental/pesticides because the weird shaped traps occur across almost all of my venus flytraps, from red varieties to typical to giant varieties. Not all my plants got infected by mites but I did spray pesticides on everything.

Maybe it's the interaction from using both chemicals together.

The traps are reverting back to normal now, but it took a good 2-3 months since I spayed mid summer.
ChefDean liked this
By Z_Y
Interesting, one of the active ingredients Tebuconazole in the bayer 3 in 1 is mentioned in the post as causing curved traps.

That's good to know, I was worried I was getting some other weird disease or something. Having someone else confirm this phenomenon is a relief. I might stick to using this on my other plants and use something else on my flytraps.

I really want to try azoxystrobin too.
Supercazzola liked this
By hungry carnivores
Watch out for azoxystrobin. That's HIGHLY carcinogenic and will cause cancer in CP's too. (Cancer in plants are warts/tumors but they do not metastasize due to the fact that they don't have blood vessels). If you decide to use it, use while they are dormant, and wear gloves, goggles, and a mask if possible.

Best of luck.

I have found that natural Bt (biotoxin) fungicides are the best for me.
Matt liked this
By Z_Y
hungry carnivores wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:47 pm Watch out for azoxystrobin. That's HIGHLY carcinogenic and will cause cancer in CP's too. (Cancer in plants are warts/tumors but they do not metastasize due to the fact that they don't have blood vessels). If you decide to use it, use while they are dormant, and wear gloves, goggles, and a mask if possible.

Best of luck.

I have found that natural Bt (biotoxin) fungicides are the best for me.
Sorry for the bump in this old post. I actually missed this post the first time around so I didn't see it. I've been having a lot of success with azoxystrobin in controlling mold, but I just noticed you wrote that it's a carcinogen.

Is this actually the case? I did a quick search and found no significant link between this chemical and any carcinogenic properties, and the EPA says it's likely non carcinogenic.
By elaineo
Z_Y wrote: Sorry for the bump in this old post. I actually missed this post the first time around so I didn't see it. I've been having a lot of success with azoxystrobin in controlling mold, but I just noticed you wrote that it's a carcinogen.

Is this actually the case? I did a quick search and found no significant link between this chemical and any carcinogenic properties, and the EPA says it's likely non carcinogenic.
I don't think so. Azoxystrobin is an antioxidant that prevents free radicals from causing cell damage. If anything, it prevents cancer (in plants).

I wonder if you could mix a small amount of the […]

I would only use a water trey for peat/perlite. LF[…]

Flytrap Growth

Nice pic!

Red meat viability claims

This is a good example of a “predatory&rdquo[…]

Watering my Venus Flytrap

You can collect rainwater. I have also used water […]

Dan V and ITS, I followed and bookmarked the links[…]

Drosera seeds in water?

I did not think drosera needed to be water stratif[…]

The "Bisnick" mini bog Okay, I'll […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!