FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By motherbucha
I'll receive some bare root Nepenthes within this week and I was hoping for some advice as it is my first time transplanting.

1. I already live in an area where average humidity is around 70% so do I need to still put the plants in a ziplock/"humidity dome" or prepare a humidifier?

2. I'm planning to initially place them in a shelf beside an Eastern facing window that gets around 2-3 hours direct morning light and bright indirect light the rest of the day. Is that too much light to start? And if it is alright, how long should I wait before I start acclimatizing them outdoors to be with my other neps?

3. From where I am from, pitcher plants are usually grown in coco peat and perlite rather than LFS, as the former are more accessible. I've already started rinsing the coco peat and perlite with distilled water to remove as much minerals and impurities. If I place a chunk of the rinsed coco peat and perlite mixture in distilled water, what TDS reading should be ideal for the neps?

4. If I receive the plants with pitchers still in them, will placing Maxsea help root growth?

5. If the answer to #4 is no, is it true that cutting the existing (even if healthy) pitchers will be beneficial for the plant?

6. Heat in my country can be scorching, even during the morning so I water my established neps around 3-4x/week. Should I water as frequent with the newly transplanted?

The plants that I'll be getting are the following:

Advised for 5x5 potting:
N. Gentle
N. Hirsuta Spathulata
N. Glandulifera x Boschiana
N. Miranda

Advised for 6x6 potting:
N. Ampullaria Bau Green
N. Hookeriana Speckled

I'm sorry for the questions. I just really want to get this right. :?
By hungry carnivores
1. Always bag. No matter your humidity, accidents happen. I keep LL neps at 100%, the few I have got.

2. Any relatively bright light is OK. Direct light is a no-no IME but you can make it work - Plants adapt. PM the seller and ask their conditions, try to approximate them, giving a bit more humidity.

3. 0 is ideal. Up to 50 is good. 100 is tolerable.

4. I would avoid. Now is not the time to burn pitchers or leaves, in fact, I'd cut them off to acclimate. Again, you do you, our growing ways may differ.

5. Possibly. I do it, you do not need to, but if you'd like, I find that it speeds up leaf growth to cut pitchers. Some of my plants I keep one pitcher for maxsea, and the rest I cut off to get it to grow fast.

6. They'll be bagged. I wouldn't, if I bag them individually.

Best of luck
HC
Matt, motherbucha liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!