FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By zendercosm_11
optimus prime wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:58 pm Why are we talking about therapy
I find growing carnivorous plants to be therapeutic for compulsive triggers associated with PTSD. :D

Edit: Watching a nepenthes grow, checking on it every day, pruning at the right times—it keeps a perforated mind from dwelling on the fact. No therapist has been as useful to me as my plants.
Propag8 liked this
By zendercosm_11
Propag8 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:53 am Zendercosm that sounds like a close call lucky they didn't beat you up lol. I'm not religious but I do find the old pagan religions like druidism very interesting. Not for the beliefs but more their concept of nature, much like indigenous tribes they seem to be able to take what they need from nature without causing to much damage something us westerners have long forgotten.
My smart mouth can get me into some weird situations. I guess I was lucky that day!

Very well said. I absolutely agree with your assessment. I picked Druidry up as a topic of study to learn to better be ‘in the moment.’ It made me appreciate the way indigenous people found a spiritual identity through their environment. The respect that the Druids paid to the earth is very enriching. ‘The Druidry Handbook’ is a really cool read, if you’re into that kinda thing. It’s got a comprehensive history & all sorts of other cool stuff.
Propag8 liked this
By zendercosm_11
optimus prime wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:51 am And I know what your thinking, “OptIMuS I ThoUgHT yOu wERe HoMeShoOLEd” I am but I go to a co-op
That’s really cool. I’ll bet you have a truly refreshing way of seeing the world. :D
optimus prime liked this
By zendercosm_11
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:45 pm When I was growing up I was never one to fit in, I pretty much jumped friend groups every year. The only time people really wanted to be near me was during tests :lol: (I’m very book smart). I was and still am very introverted. I loved thinking about machines and engineering and hoped to become an engineer some day. I like finding patterns in people and society, like the pattern that is happening with college prices, they are going up and once they get up high enough they will crash down low due to people not being able to afford it. I also had a hard stance on certain things but do not wish to share them(nothing bad) so this thread doesn’t turn out like the Flytrap dormancy is not necessary thread. I tended to be working while others were sitting around doing nothing. I also dreamt of having a self sustaining house somewhere in the woods as I love nature and liked climbing trees. I’m glad I found this forum because with my lack of friends and nearby family I like talking with people to avoid getting too depressed. Welp, don’t know about you but this was pretty good therapy for me.
Your word choice indicates introvert, to me—for sure. Hurray for feeling positive about the world & effectively living your life. 👍🏻
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By Apollyon
zendercosm_11 wrote:
optimus prime wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:58 pm Why are we talking about therapy
I find growing carnivorous plants to be therapeutic for compulsive triggers associated with PTSD. :D

Edit: Watching a nepenthes grow, checking on it every day, pruning at the right times—it keeps a perforated mind from dwelling on the fact. No therapist has been as useful to me as my plants.
Sounds like bonsai might be up your alley, if pruning and maintaining its growth and development are your thing. Everything about them is focused and meticulous but it does grow on you. Power to you sticking it to the zealots where you're from. When I was a teenager I'd drive up to visit my dad in North Carolina in that "bible belt" you're talking about. Blasting Slayer. The people are something else but I guess it works for them.

Personally I found the trees to be therapeutic and picked up martial arts about 4 years ago to find that "balance." I used to instruct the kids before covid happened, then my job took precedence.

The spirituality of the old religions and pagans were something else. Being more grounded and in touch with nature and the forces at work around them.
zendercosm_11, Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
Stonehenge is an hour away for me but yet I've never been. The modern druids still go there now lol. I agree apollyon bonsai is quite amazing nothing can teach you patience and "good things come to those who wait" more than bonsai.
By zendercosm_11
Propag8 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:50 am Stonehenge is an hour away for me but yet I've never been. The modern druids still go there now lol. I agree apollyon bonsai is quite amazing nothing can teach you patience and "good things come to those who wait" more than bonsai.
@Apollyon & @Propag8, you both intrigue me. I have wanted a bansai for years. But I’ve honestly just neglected the interest. You both give me lots of good ideas involving more plants in my life...
Propag8 liked this
By Apollyon
@zendercosm_11, I started off with bonsai. Think my favorite would be ficus species because they're tough as hell, grow fast, can grow in a multitude of conditions and they aren't picky about soil. Could legit throw it into CP mix and supply it fertilizer and it'll plug away. The aerial roots they send down make the trees look more majestic. The ficus I got 6 months ago as a "start" has already taken the shape I want and is sending down aerial roots. I'm letting the wire marks grow out but the tree should hopefully be something to look at in a couple of years.
Propag8, zendercosm_11 liked this
By Propag8
Zendercosm check out Herons bonsai on YouTube the guy runs a bonsai centre here in the UK. He has loads of educational vids on starting out with bonsai and he's been doing it his whole life.
Apollyon, zendercosm_11 liked this
By Apollyon
I've definitely binged some peter chan vids in my life. The dude is so serene and pragmatic about the whole thing too. "Oh no need to overthink it just cut the thing off it'll be alright." He has some good stuff. Nigel Saunders is also entertaining to watch. Eccentric Canadian guy who does a lot of clip and grow. They definitely make for more natural looking stuff. I do a lot of wiring but I have some I clip and grow as well.
Propag8, zendercosm_11 liked this
By zendercosm_11
Propag8 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:11 pm Zendercosm check out Herons bonsai on YouTube the guy runs a bonsai centre here in the UK. He has loads of educational vids on starting out with bonsai and he's been doing it his whole life.
I definitely will, thanks. Have you ever heard of the artist, Andy Goldsworthy? I ask since you’re across the pond.
By zendercosm_11
Apollyon wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:17 pm I've definitely binged some peter chan vids in my life. The dude is so serene and pragmatic about the whole thing too. "Oh no need to overthink it just cut the thing off it'll be alright." He has some good stuff. Nigel Saunders is also entertaining to watch. Eccentric Canadian guy who does a lot of clip and grow. They definitely make for more natural looking stuff. I do a lot of wiring but I have some I clip and grow as well.
The Bob Ross of bonsai? Lol.
By Propag8
I havent im afraid zendercosm the only artist i know is banksy lol.
zendercosm_11 liked this
By zendercosm_11
Propag8 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:17 am I havent im afraid zendercosm the only artist i know is banksy lol.
Lol, well Banksy has made some amazing pieces of art. Goldsworthy is a really cool guy to watch as he’s doing his artwork.

The UK tends to produce really awesome artists of all kinds. Musically, there’s so much variety over there that’s considered ‘pop,’ in comparison to the American stations. I’m listening to the Newsbeat on BBC Radio 1, currently.

Living in America, I am really intrigued to hear about how the UK is dealing right now. It’s good that people are getting the better grades. Nothing to do with CP’s, but there it is anyways. :lol:
By sanguinearocks101
Apollyon wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:03 pm @zendercosm_11, I started off with bonsai. Think my favorite would be ficus species because they're tough as hell, grow fast, can grow in a multitude of conditions and they aren't picky about soil. Could legit throw it into CP mix and supply it fertilizer and it'll plug away. The aerial roots they send down make the trees look more majestic. The ficus I got 6 months ago as a "start" has already taken the shape I want and is sending down aerial roots. I'm letting the wire marks grow out but the tree should hopefully be something to look at in a couple of years.
How do you get the plant to have tiny leaves? Do only certain types do it?

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

You are spot on with your own points.rubra rubra s[…]

I am definitely not with it today I can’t fi[…]

Early requests are not allowed, you'll need to mak[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!