FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By anansi
Hi everyone, I'm about to try tissue culture. I've read the FAQs thread about it and it's been very helpful. Just have one stupid question: how do I prepare a Cytokinin solution? I know that it should be 1g/L but what does liter mean? Is it simply 1L of distilled water? Or is it more complicated than that?

What I have is BAP.

Looking forward to your help.

Thanks

Sent from my IN2020 using Tapatalk

By Matt
anansi wrote: I know that it should be 1g/L but what does liter mean? Is it simply 1L of distilled water? Or is it more complicated than that?
Nope, not more complicated than that. You have it right. Just mix the 1g of whatever cytokinin you have into the water and then use it. Of course, not all plant growth regulators are soluble in water, including BAP, so you'll have to use a chemical solvent to get it to mix into the water. BAP is soluble in both NaOH and KOH.

You'll need to do more research as to how to make a solution of one of those solvents to dissolve the BAP powder. Though I've done it before with KOH (like 10 years ago) I can't recall the calculation now and don't bother with a solvent anymore. Instead, I just order the PGRs already in liquid form at a concentration of 1mg/ml. It saves a little time and work.
1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I r[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

SASE mailed thank you

Looking for a Cephalotus

A guy in a plant club I'm in said he had some Nepe[…]

AI Generated Nepenthes

Hey look, it's those oddly neon bonsai seeds for s[…]

Gemmae

I suspect maxsea residue as the culprit on mine.[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!