FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Greenthumbs Garden
Hey Guys, I would be interested to know if any of you guys keep a logbook of your growing activities, and if so, what methods do you use to track and record your activity?

I just started one a few days ago because I'm sick of forgetting when I planted this, or what mix was in that, or how much of so and so. At the time I always think I'll remember but then a week later I'm clueless.

So my plan is at the moment is to have at the front of the book a simple log of what I do... as time goes on I can develop any other needed pages like soil mixes, or pesticides, fungicides that I've used to success and so on
Here's an example of what I got so far, as time goes on and needs pop up ill add to the legend and section.
log.jpg
log.jpg (391.72 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
would love to hear and maybe see your techniques
By Shadowtski
I just use an Open Office Document, CP Notes.doc.
The nicest thing is that it's searchable.
This is handy when you've been growing for a few years.
The bad thing is I tend to procrastinate and end up forgetting to input new activity.
Greenthumbs Garden liked this
By Greenthumbs Garden
that's a really good idea. I just love pen and paper. the problem is in time it will be much harder to index, and search info... and add pages. I've used Evernote before which is cool as you can add tags. would make searching easier.
By Matt
This is a great idea! I am learning that it is Outside of putting reminders on my Google calendar, which are always available to go back and look at later, I've not really kept a logbook outside of my tissue culture work.
By evenwind
I tried to keep a logbook but found out I'm terrible at remembering to make entries. When I thought about it, I realized that I rarely do anything complicated with my plants - it's mainly just splitting and/or re-potting. I can see from the leaves when they haven't been fed for awhile (I don't use liquid fertilizers). So, I came up with a simple system that gives me pretty much all I need. When something changes, I use two plant tags per pot - one with the plant ID and source and the other with the last re-pot date. If something special needs to be noted, I can always use a 3rd tag:
Attachments:
P6230839a.JPG
P6230839a.JPG (150.12 KiB) Viewed 3495 times
schmeg liked this
By sanguinearocks101
I've planned on creating a logbook for a while, but, as with most things, I have procrastinated it. I need to create a device that uses a pressure pad, speaker, raspberry pi, motor, and a plastic hand to remind me to log stuff. Pretty much I put my head on my pillow, the raspberry pi senses it, it slaps me with the plastic hand and yells at me to do my logbook, I'll probably procrastinate this too :D
By Artchic528
sanguinearocks101 wrote:I've planned on creating a logbook for a while, but, as with most things, I have procrastinated it. I need to create a device that uses a pressure pad, speaker, raspberry pi, motor, and a plastic hand to remind me to log stuff. Pretty much I put my head on my pillow, the raspberry pi senses it, it slaps me with the plastic hand and yells at me to do my logbook, I'll probably procrastinate this too :D
Nice idea for a "get your rear in gear" device. Reminds me of a patent some dude made for a device that is essentially a hand crank in front of the user hooked up to a wheel behind the user with several spokes on it ending in wooden feet. Essentially, the user cranks the wheel and the feet "kick" the user in the backside as a means of self motivation, or so the patent suggests. Because we all know, there's nothing like a swift kick to your rear to get you going. Here's a rough diagram of the device (for educational purposes).

sanguinearocks101 liked this
By Greenthumbs Garden
:lol: :lol: good suggestions guys! I think I transfer my notes to an ever note journal, that way I can add tags and much more. and its never lost all in one place for decades to come, lol.
By Artchic528
Copper2 wrote:Do you realize when you procrastinate you’re letting Satan control your life?
Seeing as I'm a Wiccan, yeah, I'm not really in Satan's jurisdiction. Besides, I can cast a protection circle around me if I am feeling particularly lazy. :lol:
sanguinearocks101 liked this

package recieved thank you Sent from my SM-S918U […]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Thanks, I gave them another treatment this morning[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I do sell on Etsy, and anything I sell is authenti[…]

hi: im feedmesemore

Welcome to the forum!

How cold is too cold

Thanks! They will stay outside from now on.

Hello from New England

Welcome to the forum!

Nepenthes cold shock?

Thanks, y’all!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!