FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By DesertLlama
This is a species I've been thinking of adding to my indoor collection. Has anyone who's grown this indoors had any trouble inducing winter dormancy or is it even required? My temps inside during the winter will be in the mid to high 60s Fahrenheit with lights on 16 hours/day. Similarly, do these principles apply to hybrids with floridana like x 'Dreamsicle'?
By MikeB
I've had that variety in the past, but I grew it outdoors. It needs tons of light to maintain the red color. Also, it doesn't go dormant. After my regular D. filiformis plants had formed hybernacula, the Florida Reds were chugging along despite the increasing cold. I gave most of them to a friend who has a greenhouse. The frost caught up with the ones growing in my other pots and killed them.
By DesertLlama
MikeB wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:03 pm I've had that variety in the past, but I grew it outdoors. It needs tons of light to maintain the red color. Also, it doesn't go dormant. After my regular D. filiformis plants had formed hybernacula, the Florida Reds were chugging along despite the increasing cold. I gave most of them to a friend who has a greenhouse. The frost caught up with the ones growing in my other pots and killed them.
Good to know about the dormancy or lack thereof :lol:. My binata-complex Drosera get completely red under my lights. Does that sound like enough?
By MikeB
That should do it. The Florida Reds will grow fine in regular light levels, but they'll be green with lots of red highlights instead of neon red all-over.
By DesertLlama
If I lived in another climate I'd give it a shot :lol: . When I originally got my multifida and Marston's Dragon, I grew them outside. They tolerated my 110F summer temps but definitely looked a bit roughed up. Since I brought them inside, they're looking a lot better. I also wonder if excessive heat impacts pigment formation? They were in full sun with 8+ hours a day and stayed pretty green.

And let me know if you're going to donate any of your seed! Would love to give a crack at this species. I'd do a seed trade too if you're interested.
By sanguinearocks101
DesertLlama wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:02 pm And let me know if you're going to donate any of your seed! Would love to give a crack at this species. I'd do a seed trade too if you're interested.
I’m definitely gonna donate some seed. What else could I do with around 1600 seeds?(assuming every seed pod produces around 100 seeds) I’d also be willing to do a trade.
Weird Pitchers, advice?

the black absorbs the full spectrum of light makin[…]

Two issues. The only filiformis var Floridana we h[…]

primaflora likes to be almost wet. I keep it in sh[…]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome back https://media.tenor.com/images/5e88a[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1671. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1670. I'll PM[…]

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

New cultivar potential?

For its stout leaves and proportionately large t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!