FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Freebies, raffles, etc. for plants or growing supplies

Moderator: Matt

By uxleumas
when clicked, it redirects the computer to a page that says, "not found" or something simmaler.
Also, mini giveaway, but you have to know some chemistry knoledge and guess a question right. the giveaway is a smallish cape sundew since collection getting big. p.m me so i know what adress to ship to. will be shipped in envlope.
here's the question.

If I add 1 mol of powdered Mg and 1 mol of powdered NaOH to a dry flask, use a bit mineral oil as a solvent, add ~5 grams of Menthol, heat it up to 215° C, then wait for a day, what will I get?
AKA
during conditions that are favorable to this reaction,
Mg+NaOH-> ? + ? + ?
is it allowed to post two different topic in the same post? didn't want to post two different posts since it would take too much space.
edit: heated up to 350°C
Last edited by uxleumas on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChefDean liked this
By Matt
Ah, "Live Chat" was something else that went away with the server upgrade that I didn't replace. I didn't think it was used much, but I can try to find something to replace it if people want it back. I just removed the link to avoid confusion.
By sanguinearocks101
Hey, so I've never seen any chem problem like this. So I tried it out and all I got was this: Mg+Na(OH)2=Na+Mg(OH)2. I'm not sure how in your post you saw 3 products from just these two reactants. Maybe it has something to do with the methanol???
uxleumas liked this
By uxleumas
errrr sooooo it's only NaOH(s) not Na(OH)2 i should specify that reaction's happening in dry mineral oil so the NaOH won't turn into Na(OH)2 + H . you're very close and also reaction happens under no oxygen or else it would explode.
By crazy_carnivores
uxleumas wrote:when clicked, it redirects the computer to a page that says, "not found" or something simmaler.
Also, mini giveaway, but you have to know some chemistry knoledge and guess a question right. the giveaway is a smallish cape sundew since collection getting big. p.m me so i know what adress to ship to. will be shipped in envlope.
here's the question.

If I add 1 mol of powdered Mg and 1 mol of powdered NaOH to a dry flask, use a bit mineral oil as a solvent, add ~5 grams of Menthol, heat it up to 215° C, then wait for a day, what will I get?
AKA
during conditions that are favorable to this reaction,
Mg+NaOH-> ? + ? + ?
is it allowed to post two different topic in the same post? didn't want to post two different posts since it would take too much space.
:lol: what grade science is this? just curious
By sanguinearocks101
I didn't mean to type Na(OH)2...so the balanced chemical equation should have been Mg+2NaOH=Mg(OH)2+2Na. Idk if the mineral oil alters the reaction/adds something else to it. Is the methanol one of the reactants? If so then I am unable to do this problem because I have never learned how to solve chem problems involving 3 or more reactants.
By uxleumas
Correct! (except not ballenced would be 2Mg+2NaOH->2MgO+2Na+H2) my bad, was asking for overall reaction and had some misinformation. Sanguinearocks101 got the equation correct, and wins the challenge. hungry carnivores would have won if the reaction temperature was higher than 332° C, the decomposition temperatue of Mg(OH)2. menthol only helps speed the reaction along and i think maybe makes Mg(OH)2 decompose into MgO+H2 at lower temperatures. the overall reaction is super complicated (i think) and since i have no idea if menthol makes Mg(OH)2 decompose into MgO+H2 at lower temperatures, it's a coinflip (sorry) Sanguiearocks101 is heads and Hungry carnivores is tails. i'm flipping it online and it's best out of 5
results are : tails, Heads, Tails, Heads, and Heads. unexpectedly Sanguiearocks101 makes a comeback in the last coin flip. if you want to claim the sundew Sanguiearocks101 please p.m me your adress and if you don't want it Hungry carnivores can claim it. p.s Crazy_Carnivores i have no idea i just saw it in a video and i'm taking chemistry classes. even though i'm in 7th grade it's defainly not a 7th grade question. heck, once I came up with a chemistry test and only one person in the room got all the questions correct (aside from me). if i had to guess i'd guess somewhere above highschool since they don't staryt to teach this much until that time. might be doing more of this in future without giveaway in this thread

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Will go out in the mail tomorrow. :D

Very first mini-bog! :D

VFT nice catch

Those crane flies are a pain. Contrary to popular […]

Order received. Your order number is 1672. I'll PM[…]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!