FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
Hey guys, I'm wondering if someone could clarify something for me. I've been watching videos on youtube of different CP growers and their setups. Commercial growers have a tray system sometimes with what I can only describe as a grating of some sort that they line their trays with that they rest their pots on. It seems like it would be a decent idea if you had plants that had different water requirements like say drosera and mexican pings in their dormant state to keep different types together.

I'm just wondering if somebody knows what I'm talking about and could clarify it for me. It's something I'm interested in finding out more about but searches have failed. Thank you
By Apollyon
I couldn't find the video I was looking for but the general idea looks something like this

https://growershouse.com/grodan-gro-sma ... OwQAvD_BwE

It's like a grid but it's shorter, maybe like 3/4 to an inch tall that rests inside their trays. it looks like they use it like a buffer to stand their pots on. I'm not sure if it is for what I'm talking about but I'd like to use it for that purpose. :)
By evenwind
Sounds like you could be talking about "eggcrate", which is used primarily in fluorescent fixtures and should be available at places like Home Depot?
Attachments:
eggcrate-2.jpg
eggcrate-2.jpg (74.8 KiB) Viewed 5347 times
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
Thanks a lot! That was EXACTLY what I was talking about or close enough. I couldn't figure out how to describe it for the life of me lol.
By tommyr
They are typically used to keep plants OUT of the water. They are used in humidity trays. Not sure why they would use them in a CP set up unless it's to keep Nepenthes out of the water.
By Apollyon
At the time I just saw it in the tray. Personally though, I thought about using it to keep groups of plants with different water requirements together to save space. Like when pings go dormant and I have a tray with Drosera that don't. Like you said, it'd be more to keep plants out of it. More curiousity than anything
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By sanguinearocks101
Apollyon wrote:At the time I just saw it in the tray. Personally though, I thought about using it to keep groups of plants with different water requirements together to save space. Like when pings go dormant and I have a tray with Drosera that don't. Like you said, it'd be more to keep plants out of it. More curiousity than anything
I understand what you want it for now and how you would use it. That's actually a pretty good idea for people who have small collections like me.
By evenwind
From my experience, some things about eggcrate: It's typically sold in 2'x4' sheets in places like the Home Depot lighting department. It's fairly brittle and, because of it size, can be a bit awkward to handle. But also, because of the brittleness, it easy to trim to size. I use a wire cutter and cut it at each grid joint. The result isn't terrifically smooth but I think it's good enough.
Attachments:
P5180642.JPG
P5180642.JPG (45.71 KiB) Viewed 5153 times
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
Looks pretty good. Cutting it down wouldn't be too difficult for me I think. I don't have numerous small trays, I keep most of these guys in square pots in thicker 1020 trays (bootstrap farmer in case someone is interested). They're more expensive but they're very handy. Especially for this stuff. I used it because it was what I had but honestly it's very convenient lol. especially with the way my shelving is set up. Thanks again for the help. I'd have never guessed it was a lighting accessory.
Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Black tips on drosera regia

It's probably nothing, as the whole plant seems to[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

My 'Mimis Kiss' is finally growing pitchers again[…]

Hello , I can help with the Drosera if you are sti[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!