FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
sanguinearocks101 wrote:Are there any alternatives to Maxsea?
I use Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro to fertilize all of my plants, including flytraps, Sarracenia and everything else. It works great but, as with any fertilizer used on CPs, you have to be smart about how much you use. For flytraps, I mix it with distilled water until the ppm reaches 100-150. It usually only takes 10-12 drops, so a 1-quart bottle will last a very long time. Sarracenia and Cephalotus are far less sensitive and you can use a bit more.

If you are an Amazon Prime member, here's a good price for Foliage Pro:
https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Gro-FOL-100 ... B004A27DJA
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By Nepenthes0260
If you do get Maxsea, I use the 16-16-16 kind at quarter strength. Also, immature pitcher helis can eat springtails for their fertilization.
By Coco
The common Maxsea is the 16-16-16. Using it once every two weeks, 1.5 lbs of Maxsea will last you for a very, very long time. I'm unsure of alternatives when it comes to foliar feeding. Hopefully someone that knows will chime in.
By sanguinearocks101
Nepenthes0260 wrote:Also, immature pitcher helis can eat springtails for their fertilization.
One of my regular houseplants has tiny grayish-white bugs crawling around the soil. I have not seen them crawling in the leaves of the plant but they are very tiny so there is a high chance they are but I haven't seen them doing it. They are maybe 1-2mm long and I poked one of them with a toothpick and it just ran away without jumping like springtails do. I have not seen any bad effects of the bugs being in the pot. Could I transfer those to the heliamphora pot and let it eat those? If not how essential is it that they are fertilized?
By sanguinearocks101
I have just received my tiny Heliamphora MInor! I thought he was going to be a bit bigger but I got him for a pretty cheap price so I'm okay with it. I put him in my highland grow area. How often should I top water him or it tray watering better? Should I get something to fertilize him even though he is really small? The opening of the biggest pitcher is just big enough for an ant to crawl through. How many years do you think it will take for him to be producing mature pitchers?
By Coco
This is taken from the care guide from Sarracenia Northwest care guide in regards to Heliamphora and their growth rate, “Heliamphora grow very slowly. A juvenile plant might not produce its first adult pitcher until it is 5 years old, and it might be another 5 years before it produces its first flower!”

Edit: Here's the link where it also mentions about watering: https://www.growcarnivorousplants.com/A ... asp?ID=268

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!